Splatoon 2 (okay, so I caved)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
BanjoPickles

Splatoon 2 (okay, so I caved)

Postby BanjoPickles » July 29th, 2017, 2:38 am

I was at Target today, and they had a couple of Switches in stock, so I bought one (I'm a sucker, even through all of the crap that I have said about it). I refused to buy a game that I could get on Wii U, so I decided to pick up Splatoon 2. I never played the original, so I thought that I would give it a shot. I'm so glad that I did, because this game is absolute crack! So fun!

On a side note, I absolutely see the potential of the joycons now! It is so liberating, sitting with my arms at my sides, while playing the game! It is a really neat system! I just hope that it gets the support that it deserves!

Atarifever

Re: Splatoon 2 (okay, so I caved)

Postby Atarifever » July 29th, 2017, 6:06 am

I love the first game and still play it. This is probably the game I will eventually cave for. My youngest probably loves it even more than me, so the fact it features in their commercials is helping sell it to him, that's for sure.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 29th, 2017, 4:19 pm

My question is, can you enjoy the game offline?

I forced myself to play the first one online for the sake of the review, and it was fine, but I'd prefer to have the option to play solo or local with friends.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » July 29th, 2017, 4:34 pm

Not that I know of. There is no split screen.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » July 29th, 2017, 4:48 pm

My understanding is you can play it linked between 2 or more Switches, like you do with DS/3DS systems. I thought I read it could handle up to 8 player games that way.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » July 29th, 2017, 5:02 pm

Why on earth is there no local co-op????? I bought the first one thinking this would be the perfect game to enjoy with my kids, but I found out after that there is no 2 player mode. Now the second one is the same? That makes no sense. This is the perfect family game

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » July 29th, 2017, 5:30 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:My question is, can you enjoy the game offline?

I forced myself to play the first one online for the sake of the review, and it was fine, but I'd prefer to have the option to play solo or local with friends.

It's the same deal as in the first game: you need to be online to play multiplayer, but the rather creative singleplayer campaign can be played offline.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » July 29th, 2017, 6:46 pm

bluenote wrote:I bought the first one thinking this would be the perfect game to enjoy with my kids, but I found out after that there is no 2 player mode. Now the second one is the same? That makes no sense. This is the perfect family game

What is everyone talking about? Me and my son play the first game two player all the time. You go to "Battle Dojo" and that is all it is. It's a special 2-player only version of the versus game, with one player on the TV and the other on the gamepad. It is literally an entire game mode made just specifically for 2-player couch play.

To be fair regarding the sequel, there is local multiplayer and local co-op (Salmon Run). They just see "local" the same way they do on DS/3DS: local means not over wi-fi, but on seperate systems. You can link up, internet free, in the same room. I guess this shows how there is an odd set of expectations and plans for a system that is half a handheld and half a console. If this was Splatoon 3DS and you could play -player matches locally on the bus, it'd be hailed as incredible. If it were on another console, expectation that you would play online and not locally would barely even be a thing. But it is a Nintendo console, (in a way) so people expect couch multiplayer on one screen.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 29th, 2017, 6:48 pm

You would think that Nintendo of all companies would realize the value of split-screen. So sad.

Voor

Postby Voor » July 29th, 2017, 6:52 pm

Wonder if they'll ever release this for the 3DS.

Return to “Now Playing”