Madden 18 (PS4)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Madden 18 (PS4)

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 26th, 2017, 2:23 pm

Started playing this today, and it's pretty unremarkable. There are some tweaks here and there, but if you didn't know any better you might think you're playing Madden 17. The game is clearly trying to cater to casual players but offering an arcade mode in addition to simulation (normal) and competitive (online expert).

I do like how punts don't always roll into the end zone, and there are new animations like basket catches. The controls feel a bit less sluggish, especially when running the ball. I'm throwing a ton of interceptions on offense. Now sure if it's the game, or I suck. Probably a bit of both.

The review still has a way to go but so far it's pretty average.

Herschie

Re: Madden 18 (PS4)

Postby Herschie » August 28th, 2017, 12:00 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Started playing this today, and it's pretty unremarkable. There are some tweaks here and there, but if you didn't know any better you might think you're playing Madden 17. The game is clearly trying to cater to casual players but offering an arcade mode in addition to simulation (normal) and competitive (online expert).

I completely disagree. There are a lot of subtle tweaks, but they all add up to a great game. When I allow a touchdown or throw a pick, I don't feel like I got hosed. Plus that 4K, oh man! The graphics are out of this world!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 28th, 2017, 4:44 pm

A great game compared to what? Since it's the only new football game there's nothing to judge it against.
I bet if 2K Sports was still making NFL games both franchises would be a lot better.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 28th, 2017, 6:24 pm

I bought Madden 18 on Friday when it came out. It's been forever since I bought a new Madden game (at least 8+ years), despite football being my only hobby that rivals gaming (and might even surpass it). I figured it was finally time to buy a new football game.

So what do I think?? ....well... I haven't played it yet.. I passed out sleeping while going through the never-ending setup options on Friday night!! And then I was preoccupied with other projects the rest of the weekend. I hope to try it tonight.

However, it's very very rare that I buy a $60 retail game, so I read a lot of reviews before biting the bullet. It seems that the biggest addition this year is the new Longshot mode, which sounds more like an story-based adventure game than a football game (i.e., it sounds like Heavy Rain, but in the context of an up and coming football player). The focus sounds like it's more off the field than on the field. Critic commentary on Longshot was extremely varied, with some hating it and some loving it, although it leaned positive. Might be worth trying. The other big new feature was the new Frostbite engine, which supposedly makes the game look more realistic than prior versions.

Critic, I also read a review or two that said they tightened up the passing game and made it more difficult to exploit, which might explain all your interceptions. Either that or it's because you're using Joe Flacco..

GTS

Postby GTS » August 28th, 2017, 8:52 pm

Those screenshots look like they are from a real outside game. I quit watching football years ago once I became aware of what it does to the player's brains, so have no interest in playing it. The last football games that I ever played were actually on the Dreamcast, 2K1 and 2K2.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » August 29th, 2017, 8:18 am

It's hard to put my finger on it, but I really am enjoying this year's Madden a lot more than ever. I can't say that it's perfect since I have noticed a couple things I hate (Such as icing the kicker, which is complete bull and cost me my first game), but overall I can't get enough of this.

Now if someone could give me some advice on convincing my wife to let me play some more!

Voor

Postby Voor » August 29th, 2017, 5:09 pm

Those screenshots above creep me out. Uncanny valley. Real football games don't need facial features!!!

jon

Postby jon » August 29th, 2017, 9:44 pm

I have to admit the screen shots look amazing. I'm a bit conflicted on whether sports games should be realistic. On the one hand, I'm still enamored with ancient Front Page Sports Football pro series from the mid 90's. On the other hand I really enjoy these graphics and wouldn't mind a fun game.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » August 30th, 2017, 2:36 pm

I love the "Play the Moments" feature. I'm 35 with a wife and full-time job. I still feel as if I had an impact in the outcome, yet I can play a game in ten minutes.

Rev

Postby Rev » August 31st, 2017, 6:43 pm

Those graphics are super realistic. Not a sports fan at all but I can't deny how good those pictures look. Seems like sports games and racers have the most realistic graphics.

Return to “Now Playing”