Madden 18 (PS4)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
fod

Re: Madden 18 (PS4)

Postby fod » September 1st, 2017, 4:09 pm

IMO, NFL 2K5 is still the pinnacle of simulation-style football videogames. Even now, the animation system of Madden has yet to come close to that of the 12-year-old classic.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » September 5th, 2017, 8:24 am

I see a lot of talk about ESPN NFL 2k5 lately. I have played similar games such as Madden 2005, NFL 2k2, NFL fever 2003. What makes 2k5 so memorable.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 5th, 2017, 9:06 am

CharlieR wrote:I see a lot of talk about ESPN NFL 2k5 lately. I have played similar games such as Madden 2005, NFL 2k2, NFL fever 2003. What makes 2k5 so memorable.

It's still talked about that way, because it's the hip thing to do. But IMO, here's the reality.. Let me start with this -- the 2K series was way better than Madden. It looked better and played better. It kept getting better and 2K5 was the last one they made, due to an exclusive agreement that EA made with the NFL. So you have to look back to 2004 for the last game released to compete with Madden. So Madden gets a lot of haters, and those people like to harp on the "NFL 2K5 is the greatest" train. Not me. It's true that for a few years after 2004, 2K5 was still ahead of Madden...it took Madden awhile to catch up. I've played a season of 2K5 within the last few years and it still holds up well for a sports game and is fun to play, but it's no masterpiece. I don't agree with saying it's still the best football game of the 3D era, which is the popular thing to say. I'd much rather play Madden 18.

jon

Postby jon » September 5th, 2017, 11:56 am

I've always felt that 2k5 was better than any other 3d football video game. It is a great game. If I had a gun to my head though, I'd pick Front Page Sports Football Pro 95 for the computer.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » September 11th, 2017, 10:37 pm

This game suffers from the same thing it suffers from every year; All-Pro is too easy, but All-Madden is just ridiculously hard. The computer pulls all sorts of bull on All-Madden. That really does not make it all that much fun for me. On All-Madden, nobody blocks, I get stuffed every time I run. Ironically, I'm doing alright on defense, but I can't move the football to save my life. It's like watching the 2004 Bears.

I can try sliders, we'll see.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 12th, 2017, 9:43 pm

Lost a game yesterday and I chalk it up to bad design.
The clock is running down and a field goal is all I needed to win.
No timeouts, but I wait until 4 seconds to snap the ball so there would be no time left.
So that slow ass kicking meter appears, and I time it perfectly.
But instead of kicking the ball, the game goes to overtime because the time ran out!
That kicking meter consumed all the rest of the time - it didn't even count as a snap despite the fact that I hit X.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » September 13th, 2017, 5:59 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Lost a game yesterday and I chalk it up to bad design.
The clock is running down and a field goal is all I needed to win.
No timeouts, but I wait until 4 seconds to snap the ball so there would be no time left.
So that slow ass kicking meter appears, and I time it perfectly.
But instead of kicking the ball, the game goes to overtime because the time ran out!
That kicking meter consumed all the rest of the time - it didn't even count as a snap despite the fact that I hit X.

And let me guess, you now need both a new TV and controller?

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » September 13th, 2017, 6:39 am

Herschie wrote:
And let me guess, you now need both a new TV and controller?

Literally LOL.

That's unforgivable in a football game. Clock management is a huge deal in the sport. This is like having a baseball game suddenly only give you two outs to use in the bottom of the 9th or something. Unacceptable.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 13th, 2017, 7:55 am

I don't know... I've played half a season of franchise mode so far and I'm enjoying it. I think it's really well done. I can understand if people who buy it year after year are complaining that it's the same, but for someone like me that's gone like 8 years without a new football game, I think it's great. I look forward to getting home after work and squeezing in one full game per night. I'm looking forward to trying out the online modes too, since online is usually what I play most with sports games. Just waiting until I'm a little better at the game.

One thing I do miss is getting sacks. In every past football game I've owned, I've gotten really good at getting sacks as an edge rusher. But in Madden 18, I'm totally useless on defense.. I'm a liability to my team more than anything. I might get a couple sacks if the QB holds the ball too long, but I'm rarely tackling RBs or putting pressure on QBs. Maybe it's more realistic that way, but I'd like to make more of an impact. Anyone having more luck playing individual defense?

And has anyone tried Longshot? I haven't and not sure if I will.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » September 13th, 2017, 8:28 am

Retro STrife wrote:One thing I do miss is getting sacks. In every past football game I've owned, I've gotten really good at getting sacks as an edge rusher. But in Madden 18, I'm totally useless on defense.. I'm a liability to my team more than anything. I might get a couple sacks if the QB holds the ball too long, but I'm rarely tackling RBs or putting pressure on QBs. Maybe it's more realistic that way, but I'd like to make more of an impact. Anyone having more luck playing individual defense?

46 Normal: Inside Rush. Control the guy covering the running back. If he goes out for a pass, either cover him or switch to a rusher. If he blocks, full speed ahead to the QB through the A gap. Can be risky since every receiver is single covered, but it gets quick pressure. Adjust coverage if need be. If the blitz gets picked up, try your best to block the extra point.

Return to “Now Playing”