Dark Souls II: Scholars (PS4)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
BanjoPickles

Dark Souls II: Scholars (PS4)

Postby BanjoPickles » September 15th, 2017, 10:28 pm

I don't know why I bypassed this game, considering that I've invested time into every other game in the series. I downloaded it last week when it was on sale ($11.99! Not too shabby).

I'm still near the beginning, but I can already see why it's considered the worst in the series. There seems to be a sloppiness that doesn't exist in the other games. I also heard that they went overboard on the bosses, and sacrificed genuine challenge for the sake of artificial difficulty (cheap enemies/bosses).

I hope that it gets better.

DaHeckIzDat

Re: Dark Souls II: Scholars (PS4)

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 16th, 2017, 7:36 pm

After reviewing DSII, I'm playing through SotfS as well so I can hopefully review that version too. Honestly I think I like the original version of the game better. They "updated" Scholars by throwing in high level enemies where they don't belong. It's harder, yes, but not in a fun way. Like Heide's Tower of Flame, now you have to fight the giant knights while also trying not to aggro all the Heide Knights they threw everywhere. And then they put a dragon there just for good measure. Gah!

BanjoPickles

Re: Dark Souls II: Scholars (PS4)

Postby BanjoPickles » September 18th, 2017, 9:30 pm

Okay, so I'm starting to find my groove and I'm now enjoying the game (even though it is the weakest of the three). It has the atmosphere, the challenge hasn't gotten too insane (yet), and I do like the pacing.

So far, I would rate the series like so:

Demon Souls: B+
Dark Souls: A
Dark Souls II: B
Bloodborne: A+ (I loved this game!)
Dark Souls III: A-

Return to “Now Playing”