Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DaHeckIzDat

Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 16th, 2017, 7:39 pm

The original Donkey Kong Country trilogy on SNES were the first three games I ever played, so I'm crazy nostalgic for them. I just got Returns for the Wii, and I'm not impressed. The game isn't bad, but it doesn't feel like Donkey Kong anymore. The old games were simple, but they were charming, challenging, and fun despite (or maybe even BECAUSE OF) that simplicity. Returns feels like they just threw in everything and then added the kitchen sink for good measure. The levels have way too much going on in them, and they loose the atmosphere the older games had because of it. They added in new mechanics like pounding and blowing, and I don't see them improving the game at all. It's still fun and I'm enjoying it, but I'm having a hard time thinking of it as part of the Donkey Kong Country series.

Mario500

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)

Postby Mario500 » September 17th, 2017, 10:16 am

I had always found this game to be much tougher than the first, second, and third games of the series (I had played all three of them).

Voor

Postby Voor » September 18th, 2017, 7:53 am

I almost always dislike it when they add new abilities to old characters. New Super Mario is a good example--I dislike the wall bounce and ground pound mechanics. I like it when the characters have fewer options and I think it forces them to be more creative with the level design.

Mario500

Postby Mario500 » September 18th, 2017, 9:51 am

Voor wrote:I almost always dislike it when they add new abilities to old characters. New Super Mario is a good example--I dislike the wall bounce and ground pound mechanics. I like it when the characters have fewer options and I think it forces them to be more creative with the level design.

What "New Super Mario"?

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » September 18th, 2017, 12:23 pm

Even if they deviate from the SNES trilogy to a degree, I think Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze are among the best platformers for their respective systems because I love their level designs. The challenge is refreshing after playing most contemporary Mario games, and there are some legitimately adrenaline-fueling moments. The formula of the SNES games was starting to feel played out by the time the third one rolled around, so I'm glad Returns made the changes it did. Plus, if the motion controls bother you, you can always get the 3DS version, which also includes an extra world.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » September 19th, 2017, 3:21 am

I think the new additions help DKCR stand out. It still has that DKC vibe while being its own thing,

Also good lord is this game brutally difficult. But it's difficult in a way that encourages you to get better. Some of the rocket and mine cart levels can be too much, but otherwise it's a really fun game. Haven't played Tropical Freeze yet.

Return to “Now Playing”