Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)

Postby Herschie » October 8th, 2017, 2:58 pm

I always like to remember my roots when it comes to games like this. When the original Metroid came out, this big kid named Nick on the bus threatened to throw my Cubs hat out the window if I didn't agree with him that it was the best game ever. I agreed with him, and got my hat back, but he didn't see my fingers crossed. Zelda all the way! The next day I drew a penis on one of his textbooks, and wrote "Nick is a d*ck" in permanent ink. The resulting pain the next day was a direct result of me not taking into account his ability to compare handwriting. You know, I wasn't really too bright at the age of 7!

Anyway, I did enjoy the original Metroid, even though I had no idea what I was doing when I was a kid. I loved the eerie sound effects, and the thrill of finding new items. Didn't really get to own it, since my parents bought the lamest games. I usually played it after a trip to Blockbuster. I skipped right to Prime after that, because I actually never did get around to playing Super Metroid until around 2004.

Samus Returns picks up right where everything left off. It's too bad that my eyes really can't handle the 3D effects for long, because they're the best I've ever seen on the 3DS. It's the familiar story, but I was quite impressed by the sound effects. I like how they went the sidescrolling route, because I think that that works better for a handheld.

I've only played this game for about a half hour total so far, but I think we have ourselves a winner in "Metroid: Samus Returns".

Voor

Re: Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)

Postby Voor » October 8th, 2017, 11:29 pm

Yeah, it's a good game, though it doesn't topple Super as the best one. Metroid is all about atmosphere, and SR does a great job of that.

Some gripes though:
--I wish the melee counter wasn't a thing. The timing is tricky and they make it critical to use.
--I could do with the free aiming mechanism too. Shooting missles with this means you are holding L and R and the directional pad and pressing a button. Whew.
--I preferred the 4 big bosses and mini bosses in Super to the 40 metroids in SR.

Other than that, it's pretty good.

Herschie

Re: Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)

Postby Herschie » October 9th, 2017, 8:20 am

Voor wrote:Some gripes though:
--I wish the melee counter wasn't a thing. The timing is tricky and they make it critical to use.
--I could do with the free aiming mechanism too. Shooting missles with this means you are holding L and R and the directional pad and pressing a button. Whew.
--I preferred the 4 big bosses and mini bosses in Super to the 40 metroids in SR.

As I've played a little more, I see what you mean. I can get the timing down with the melee counter, but often I won't see those flying things until it's too late. And I'm not crazy about the control layout either.

Return to “Now Playing”