Haunting: Starring Polterguy (Genesis)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
JustLikeHeaven

Haunting: Starring Polterguy (Genesis)

Postby JustLikeHeaven » October 24th, 2017, 10:22 pm

Since it's October I've only been playing Halloween appropriate games. I recently went back and re-visited a cult-classic Genesis game from the 90s, Haunting: Starring Polterguy. What a weird-ass game! It really wasn't that long ago when EA was responsible for some of the more wild games in the industry. The Genesis era was them at their creative peak. Haunting is essentially a haunted house simulator where you play as the ghost doing the spooking. The whole experience is mischievous and perfect for this time of year. It's all topped off with in your face 90s "cool edginess" that make playing it in 2017 even more surreal. I go in depth with my thoughts over at the The Wolfman's Lounge!

https://wolfmanslounge.com/2017/10/24/h ... rguy-1993/

Retro STrife

Re: Haunting: Starring Polterguy (Genesis)

Postby Retro STrife » October 29th, 2017, 2:51 pm

Interesting game. I bought it several years ago based on the Critic's positive review. I didn't find it to be as good as him, so I moved on pretty quickly and resold it. But I could see why people would like it. Very unique game.

JustLikeHeaven

Re: Haunting: Starring Polterguy (Genesis)

Postby JustLikeHeaven » October 31st, 2017, 9:18 am

I can very much see why people would nonplussed by Haunting. Gameplay wise there isn't a hell of a lot going on. It the videogame equivalent to a one trick pony. If you don't think Haunting's particular trick is all that enticing, then a player would get bored rather quickly.

I think it's the perfect game to pull out once every couple of years or so. It plays best with a friend who can laugh at the ridiculous "fright em" animations.

Return to “Now Playing”