Super Mario Odyssey

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Voor

Re: Super Mario Odyssey

Postby Voor » November 3rd, 2017, 6:06 pm

That's a good point. Mario has never tried to be Ninja Gaiden or Battletoads. It's aimed at Nintendo's widest market and successfully appeals to just about everyone.

And just FYI, the Speedrunning communities for 64 and Sunshine are VERY active, with multiple catagories (no hover Sunshine, for example).

Yeah point is that you can be super casual about it and have fun or you can dig in and challenge yourself.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » November 4th, 2017, 1:16 pm

So if I don't have a Switch and am on the fence how does this game effect my decision to get one? Keep in mind that I do enjoy Mario games (2d/3d). Thoughts?

strat

Postby strat » November 4th, 2017, 4:00 pm

The only question is do you want to wait for a price drop to get a Switch. (Or wait and see if a newer, upgraded model comes out). SMO makes getting a Switch worth it, if BOTW wasn't enough.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » November 4th, 2017, 5:07 pm

newmodelarmy wrote:So if I don't have a Switch and am on the fence how does this game effect my decision to get one? Keep in mind that I do enjoy Mario games (2d/3d). Thoughts?

It probably should not tip you over the fence. I personally would not purchase a console to gather dust for sake of one game. Purchase the Switch when you can list a few exclusive titles you want play. As good as Mario Odyssey is, and it is a very good game, if the other titles do not peak your interest that much, then hold tight until the content on the platform reaches maturity. This is a typical stick or swim conundrum for folks that own a WiiU.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 17th, 2017, 9:12 pm

I noticed the game doesn't tell you how many moons you need to collect in each kingdom. So how do you know when you've collected them all??

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » November 18th, 2017, 1:32 pm

When choosing your kingdom, hit Y and it provides a list of all of the moons you've collected, along with blank spaces to let you know how many moons are left in that kingdom.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » November 24th, 2017, 10:19 am

Played this for the first time yesterday, and I must say that it's pretty darn good!

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » February 14th, 2018, 4:06 pm

So has anyone finished this game yet? I do have to say I played the game over the holiday when my cousin brought up his switch, and I did think the levels were kind of big. This wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but I was surprised at how long the sand world went on for, for example, which was early in the game. Just when I thought I had all the power moons for that level, I look up and see that there are a lot more.

I don't see this as a bad thing, although I would think if the whole game had these long, drawn-out levels, it could start to wear thin on the player, having to explore every nook and cranny of a level. Of course, exploration is a good thing in games, and without playing the whole game myself, I can't say if all the levels are vast, or if the exploration takes a toll on the player, it is just something I wonder about.

GTS

Postby GTS » February 14th, 2018, 5:39 pm

I just 100 percented the game a week ago. Took about two months. Wow, some of the moons are hard to find. Also, some of the Dark Side challenges (with no hat) are almost impossible to complete.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » February 14th, 2018, 7:39 pm

GTS wrote:I just 100 percented the game a week ago. Took about two months. Wow, some of the moons are hard to find. Also, some of the Dark Side challenges (with no hat) are almost impossible to complete.

I didn’t have a problem with the dark side challenges, but the volleyball is giving me fits. Highest I made it to is 83 and it’s just so agonizing to redo it again and again. And I read people were having trouble with the jump rope which I beat on my second try.

Return to “Now Playing”