Super Mario Odyssey

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
eneuman96

Super Mario Odyssey

Postby eneuman96 » October 27th, 2017, 2:43 pm

I really shouldn't give too much away about this game, because it's full of surprises that are far more effective if you discover them on your own, but suffice it to say that every single Switch owner needs to go out and get this game immediately. It's an absolute blast to play and really does feel like a true evolution of the 3D Mario collectathon platformer formula first established in Super Mario 64.

My only real issues so far is that A: some of the moves require motion controls and B: these particular moves are somewhat unintuitive to pull off. However, since the game is still very playable with traditional controls most of the time, these are minor issues, and barely mitigate how ridiculously fun it is just to navigate each level.

All things considered, this game is pretty brilliant and if it doesn't convince people that the Switch is worth buying, I don't know what will.

DaHeckIzDat

Re: Super Mario Odyssey

Postby DaHeckIzDat » October 28th, 2017, 4:03 pm

I watched ProJared's review for this, and the number of moons you have to collect (800, I think?) worried me. He said a lot of them were so easy to get it was almost stupid. Like, they would just be sitting there. And only a few of them were challenging to get to. I'm worried because, unlike the korok seeds in BotW, collecting stars/moons is pretty much all you do in Mario games. So how long does it take to collect all the worthwhile moons and be left with nothing but crummy filler moons?

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 28th, 2017, 7:50 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:I watched ProJared's review for this, and the number of moons you have to collect (800, I think?) worried me. He said a lot of them were so easy to get it was almost stupid. Like, they would just be sitting there. And only a few of them were challenging to get to. I'm worried because, unlike the korok seeds in BotW, collecting stars/moons is pretty much all you do in Mario games. So how long does it take to collect all the worthwhile moons and be left with nothing but crummy filler moons?

Wouldn't you end up getting the crummy filler moons first?

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » October 28th, 2017, 9:49 pm

Stalvern wrote:
DaHeckIzDat wrote:I watched ProJared's review for this, and the number of moons you have to collect (800, I think?) worried me. He said a lot of them were so easy to get it was almost stupid. Like, they would just be sitting there. And only a few of them were challenging to get to. I'm worried because, unlike the korok seeds in BotW, collecting stars/moons is pretty much all you do in Mario games. So how long does it take to collect all the worthwhile moons and be left with nothing but crummy filler moons?

Wouldn't you end up getting the crummy filler moons first?

Not if you get tired of being rewarded for things like "You looked behind the corner!" and make a beeline for the challenging moons.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » October 29th, 2017, 6:39 am

ProJared seems to be the only one that has given it an "honest" review. Otherwise everybody else is naming it the greatest game of all time. This game is the reason I want to pick up a Switch and I probably will still do so. However, it sounds like the game is more about exploration then it is about any serious challenge.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » October 29th, 2017, 1:25 pm

I've put about five hours into it, and I am loving it! It's way too early to call it the best Mario game of all time, but it IS great!

These are the things that stood out to me, for better or worse:

1). The fact that they are still using text is beyond silly, in 2017. They could have taken the BotW approach, and provided voice acting for all NPC's. It just seems lazy and cheap.

2). The environments are absolutely HUGE, and they are littered with countless things to do!

3). I like that there are as many power moons as there are because it keeps the sense of accomplishment going.

4). The music is terrific! Some of the best in the entire series!

5). The mechanics are really cool, though the motion controls can be a bit wonky.

6). The camera can still work against you.

7). There are a few parts in the game, especially one specific part in New Donk City, that rank as some of the most memorable moments in the entire series.

8). I didn't know this before playing, but the ability to buy different outfits DOES serve a purpose.

9). The game, unlike BotW, isn't exactly challenging. There are no lives, but you lose ten coins for every time you die.

10). The power ups (possession) are some of the best in the series, but there are a couple that I've found that are just filler.

At this point, I would definitely give the game an A or even an A+. I like that it is a fresh take on 3D Mario. It doesn't reinvent the series like BotW did, but it does take great strides to advance the series.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 29th, 2017, 3:04 pm

Oh great, another Mario game being overrated by the professional gaming media as one of the "greatest games of all time". Literally, critics make me hate Mario more than anything. Like I see kids dressed as Mario for Halloween and I just want to beat them up now...thanks for that critics...

I'm sure it's a good game, but I don't even need to play it to know it's overrated. I already did that with Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2--I fell for the hype and played both til completion... and sure they're decent games, but can't believe that they're both ranked among the top 5 highest rated games of all time. And now Odyssey is #1!!

For real, check it out on GameRankings:

http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html

God forbid any critic ever question Mario. I don't care how good they are- no game is that good. Critics are either so blinded by their fanboy love of Mario, or so afraid of the backlash from scoring them any less than perfect.

Voor

Postby Voor » October 29th, 2017, 4:24 pm

All depends how you look at it. For a 3D exploration Mario, it could be the best one. For a challenging platforming Mario, it's still SMB3. :)

I'm not a huge fan of 3D games but I did enjoy Mario 64, and to a minor extent, Sunshine; headaches and all. So I'm tempted by this, but will still pass on a Switch.

Regarding Zelda, but brother is a huge fan of the series and he though BOTW was a "fantastic" game, but not really a good Zelda. That may make more sense to other Zelda fans....

strat

Postby strat » October 29th, 2017, 11:21 pm

BOTW was a "fantastic" game, but not really a good Zelda.

BOTW is Nintendo's most impressive game ever, like the Gamespot reviewer said, but that doesn't mean it has to be the best Zelda. And it deviates from the series enough that I'm not really sure...

The word is still out on Mario Odyssey - ProJared said the levels don't feel like as much of a sandbox as Mario 64 without really expanding on that, and my guess is the levels in MO (based on what I've played so far) are more like a container for a bunch of set-pieces. Whereas in Mario 64 the levels were so compact every structure was related. MO strives to give the same feeling of exploring a massive diorama, but it doesn't ignore the Mario Galaxy games, either. Many sections are linear pathways full of obstacles, which Mario 64 generally stayed away from (except in the Bowser levels).

But it's still a fantastic game full of crazy surprises and nothing can take that away.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 30th, 2017, 10:13 am

Voor wrote:Regarding Zelda, but brother is a huge fan of the series and he though BOTW was a "fantastic" game, but not really a good Zelda. That may make more sense to other Zelda fans....

strat wrote:BOTW is Nintendo's most impressive game ever, like the Gamespot reviewer said, but that doesn't mean it has to be the best Zelda. And it deviates from the series enough that I'm not really sure...

I dk, I feel like you guys are making my point for me... BOTW is a Zelda game. It's just that Nintendo finally got it's act together and innovated the series for once with BOTW, instead of releasing the same game in a new dressing like they've been doing since 1998. Zelda is the one series that gets away with having no real innovation, to the point that you've been conditioned to see BOTW and think it's not a Zelda game.

And you could say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", and normally I'd be fine with that - if not for that fact that nearly every other game series gets penalized for releasing "more of the same", even if there isn't anything to fix.

Return to “Now Playing”