Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Game Boy)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Voor

Re: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Game Boy)

Postby Voor » November 7th, 2017, 3:23 pm

Anyone enjoy Linke Between Worlds? I need a new game for my 3DS...

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » November 8th, 2017, 2:05 am

Voor wrote:Anyone enjoy Linke Between Worlds? I need a new game for my 3DS...

If you liked Link to the Past, it will be easy to enjoy Link between Worlds. It offered plenty of nostalgic moments. It had enough original content to feel like a new game but much of Link to the Past was reused in some form or another. A definite top 5 Zelda title for my money and a timely release considering that the Zelda community had seen a decade of fairly mediocre titles prior to this one.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » November 8th, 2017, 3:54 am

Great game. I almost never 100% a game by doing every last thing I could possibly do, but I happily did for A Link Between Worlds and was sad to finish it after 30 hours.

A Link Between Worlds actually was the first Zelda I achieved 100% completion on despite having enjoyed the series for decades. I've been within a heart piece on several Zelda's, but never had the patience to go back and figure out what I missed. I've also since done it for Ocarina of Time 3D (A game I finished, but didn't 100% back on the N64), but this was my first.

That said, it's not perfect. More than once the dialogue annoyed me, something that happens too often in the 2000's with Nintendo's games and never occurred with classics like A Link to the Past (Not a fan of Nintendo's Treehouse team at all). And for the first time ever for a 1st party Nintendo game, the game actually locked up on me in the Desert Palace.

Even the much maligned item rental system ended up fine and didn't actually change how I played in the slightest. Much like the time system in Majora's Mask, it quickly becomes evident that it's essentially just a story element, which is used to explain why Link can access most items early on rather than discovering them in the traditional manner as the player progresses.

It enabled the non-linear progression system of the game, without the worry that a player might get halfway through a dungeon and lack the necessary item to continue.
Last edited by Atariboy on December 21st, 2017, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 17th, 2017, 2:14 pm

Just wanted to chime in with a final follow-up on Link's Awakening (DX version), since I just completed it today. This is now the 3rd Zelda game that I've beaten, along with Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. I feel the same about this one as I felt about those -- very solid games, but I have trouble figuring out what all the fuss is about. Each of the games is too long in my opinion, and really starts to wear out its welcome around the 5th dungeon. While I was enjoying Link's Awakening a lot at first, the game is just "more of the same" over and over. And I got tired of that eventually. I think I'd like Zelda games a lot more if they didn't stretch out so long, and instead did a more focused adventure. I don't understand how Zelda fans, for so many years, have put up with this "wash-rinse-repeat" formula of 8 lengthy dungeons and fetch quests interspersed in between. Having played through, I would give Link's Awakening around a B score, which is also how I feel about Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time.

That said, I remain hopeful that Nintendo has finally interjected some innovation into the series with Breath of the Wild, and I will give that game a chance once I get a Switch.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » July 13th, 2019, 11:21 pm

With all the hoopla about the remake coming out on September 20th, I decided to play this again. I do have the color version on my 3DS Virtual Console, but I wanted to play the original version. So after I had a double quarter pounder meal from McDonald's, I grabbed my GBA and found the original Link's Awakening, the black and white one.

Now my wife and I were in a disagreement over the new lighting fixture in the bathroom. I thought it was too bright, but she loved it. Let me tell you, with the lack of a backlit screen, it really came in handy!

As for the game, I kind of forgot how much fun if was. I must have been in my Rocky Balboa phase last time I played because one file was named Rocky, another one was Creed. In any case, I opened the Creed game, and was in the Bottle Grotto. I was soundly defeated by the boss, unfortunately.

Ultimately, this is a fantastic game, and I'm excited for the remake in a couple months.

Return to “Now Playing”