Alien Colonial Marines (PS3)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Alien Colonial Marines (PS3)

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 11th, 2017, 4:49 pm

I remember when this was released there was an uproar. Sega must have really built up this game because people were really disappointed. Now that the game is dirt cheap I decided to see what the deal is. So far it's not bad! It's no prize but the campaign is pretty intense. I'm looking forward to trying to multiplayer modes.

matmico399

Re: Alien Colonial Marines (PS3)

Postby matmico399 » November 12th, 2017, 2:23 pm

It wasn’t terrible but it was not very good either. I think when we see Alien in the title we automatically assume it will be great like the marvelous Alien Isolation.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » November 12th, 2017, 4:53 pm

matmico399 wrote:It wasn’t terrible but it was not very good either. I think when we see Alien in the title we automatically assume it will be great like the marvelous Alien Isolation.

Alien: Isolation was released a year later. Aliens: Colonial Marines got the reception it did because it was a broken, unfinished game at launch. I assume that the version the Critic is playing in 2017 has had the worst issues patched out of it.

Edit: Turns out that there were four major updates from February to July 2013. Some of the bugs that had to be fixed:

Fixed issue where Cloak ability would not conceal the Lurker when walking or jogging.

Fixed issue where Raven could sometimes pass through welded door.

Fixed collision issue where bullets would not pass through certain open doorways.

Addressed several scenarios under which players could spawn without a weapon.

Corrected bug where clients appeared to spawn outside of world before match start.

Resolved several instances where players could walk or fall outside of maps.

Prevented campaign pop-ups from appearing outside of campaign.

Removed placeholder text from appearing on scoreboard in certain situations.

Addressed an issue where Ripley’s Flamethrower (bonus content) would sometimes fire continuously without player input.

Fixed an issue that could cause Xenos to walk upright on ceilings

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » November 13th, 2017, 1:59 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I remember when this was released there was an uproar. Sega must have really built up this game because people were really disappointed. Now that the game is dirt cheap I decided to see what the deal is. So far it's not bad! It's no prize but the campaign is pretty intense. I'm looking forward to trying to multiplayer modes.

If I recall correctly, the issue was that pretty much none of the preview footage ever shown for the game was real or reflective of the final (buggy and issue filled) product. They essentially knowingly lied every time they showed the game before release. They defended it by claiming the demos (often of pieces of gameplay that did not ever actually exist in the game) were meant to be taken as "vertical slices" of the game, and not as actual parts of the game. Which is odd, as they didn't ever say anything like that when they were showing the demos. I think it got reviewed more poorly because of fan reaction to how it had been shown to them versus what was actually delivered. Sort of the opposite of under-promise and over-deliver, with obviously the opposite effect on customer satisfaction.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » November 13th, 2017, 2:32 pm

One thing that I know happened, even if I couldn't find it in the PS3 patch notes I linked, is that the original release, on top of being tremendously buggy, had ugly, low-resolution textures that made it frequently look like a PS2 game. One of the first updates included a complete overhaul of the textures. Of course, the preview footage that AtariFever mentions had looked much better.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » November 16th, 2017, 6:51 pm

It is a good game. It is too easy on all but the most difficult levels. The story was not great. I beat it three or four times. I also bought it for all my pals.
The game itself was not made by Sega. Gearbox (borderlands) made it. Well they were supposed to make it. Turns out they farmed it out to Section 8 and fear files developers Timegate studios. Not really a number 1 studio.

Hence the reason why it turned up broken.

It was a great co op shooter though you might struggle to find anyone who wants to play it online now.

Return to “Now Playing”