This War of Mine (PS4, Xbox One, PC)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Retro STrife

This War of Mine (PS4, Xbox One, PC)

Postby Retro STrife » February 17th, 2018, 6:53 pm

Just finished a couple playthroughs of This War of Mine, which is on PC, PS4, and Xbox One. Really good game. It's like The Sims, but set during civil war in an imaginary foreign country. Unlike all other war games, which are always about soldiers killing enemies, this game is just about being a regular person living through wartime and trying to survive. During the day, you complete tasks like The Sims.. feeding your people, sleeping, recreation to make them happier, building new furniture/appliances for their home, etc. Then, at night, you go out and scavenge for supplies, like food, medicine, and tools, all of which are necessary to keep your family alive. Generally, you hope to go scavenge at abandoned locations, but sometimes you'll run into other people, both friendly and unfriendly.

One time my family was on the verge of death, so I had no choice but to break into a house to get food. Unfortunately one of the people who lived there caught me, and came at me with a gun. I had no choice but to fight back and killed him. When I returned home, my character was distraught and never the same. He wouldn't get out of bed and eventually committed suicide. "This War of Mine" is a unique game that tries to replicate an experience that most of us in first-world countries are lucky that we'll never have to go through. If it sounds interesting to you, I recommend it. (I got it on sale for $7.50 in the Playstation Store a few weeks ago, so it can be found cheap.)

Return to “Now Playing”