Nier: Automata

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DaHeckIzDat

Nier: Automata

Postby DaHeckIzDat » February 20th, 2018, 12:43 pm

I've never been good at spectacle fighters like Devil May Cry, but I never realized just how bad I was until today when I picked up Nier: Automata. If you read my review here on the site, you know the first Nier is one of my favorite games. Automata was made by Platinum Games, the people behind Bayonetta, and everyone says it's a massive improvement over the first game, but I... kinda suck at it. Which sucks harder because I might be able to power through it once or twice, but there are twenty friggin' six endings to get! This is entirely my fault, not the game's, but... man, bummer!

JWK

Re: Nier: Automata

Postby JWK » February 22nd, 2018, 1:04 am

Keep at it as this is ONE OF THE GREATEST GAMES EVER MADE. I say that with no hyperbole. I, too, loved the first NieR but Automata really is a superior game in every regard including story. Speaking of which, only endings A - E (the first five endings) are officially considered part of the story. The others (F - Z) are “joke” endings for doing things like dying in certain situations.

I really could spend hours talking about why I think this game is such a masterpiece, but suffice it to say that I put this in my Top 3 games of all time (the other two are Castlevania: Rondo of Blood and #1 is Zelda: A Link to the Past).

I can’t remember if there are difficulty settings. But if so, obviously, set it as easy as you can. In traditional controls, your robo-buddies’ rapid fire is mapped to R1. Keep your index finger on that button for... well... ever. Seriously. Every time I was in combat I just kept my right index on R1 and used my middle finger for dashing (R2). Speaking of which, get skilled at dashing. Doing so can turn a daunting fight into a cake walk. And as long as you’re aimed at the most pressing target (one of the R buttons focuses/re-focuses on an enemy), you can keep on dashing and win fights from a distance until you feel ready to jump into the melee combat. For melee, I stuck with the fastest class of swords. Yes, they’re relatively weak, but you can interrupt an enemy’s melee combo by starting your own. Stick with a weapon combination that works for you, level up the weapons and use chips that correlate with your strengths and the skills you want.

If you aren’t used to playing Platinum action games, I can understand you getting frustrated with the new NieR. But it is SO worth it to stick it out. Heck, experiencing the music alone would be worth it. But the story... oh man. By the time you reach the fifth ending (which is far less daunting than it sounds) you’ll have experienced the best story in a game ever. Even better than the first NieR and you know how incredible that game’s story was!

Return to “Now Playing”