Fortnite (PS4)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Retro STrife

Re: Fortnite (PS4)

Postby Retro STrife » March 25th, 2018, 2:07 pm

Well, after 64 games and 20 finishes in the top 10, and 5 or so second-place finishes, I finally got to see this satisfying screen in Solo mode, beating out 99 other opponents. Definitely a huge challenge that takes a lot of learning and practice, but worth the payoff once you finally get there. Best of all--as you'll see in that photo, I won the game by getting only 1 kill. I just used stealth the entire game and let everyone kill each other. Then the last guy made the mistake of coming to look for me.. and I jumped out and started pelting him with bullets before he could even react. I've been getting a little better at kills lately too, but it's a gradual process. Worked out this time though.

IMG_7286.jpg
IMG_7286.jpg (51.89 KiB) Viewed 884 times

DaHeckIzDat provided a good list of tips before. We both seem to use similar strategies, but I figured I'd chime in with 10 of my tips for getting far in a match:

#1. DOWNLOAD THIS GAME NOW!! IT'S 100% FREE TO EVERYONE on PS4, Xbox One, PC, iOS, etc.... The developers only make money off cosmetic upgrades, which you don't need to buy at all. And if the fact that it's a shooter scares you away--know that this is much different than any shooter you've tried before and should be experienced. So try this game ASAP. Sheesh...

2. Adjust the controller sensitivity down a little. I think it's too high. Adjusting it down makes aiming a little easier.

3. Bushes are your best friend. Hide inside them - they are the ultimate stealth location, while also allowing you to see all of your surroundings. People will often run right near you without even noticing you. (See tip #7 for more on that.)

4. 80% of your success depends on where you land. Always avoid towns--instead, go for desolate houses or similar locations where you are likely to be the only person. Find and learn a few good landing spots. Then check the bus route at the start of the game-- among your preferred spots, pick one that is far away from the bus route, and preferably in the later half of the bus ride. While skydiving, point in the direction you want to go, and lay totally flat to fly further.

5. All your loot grabbing happens in the first 5 minutes. Search all around your area for items, especially in chests. After the storm does its first shrinking, then you stop searching and transition to a strategy of stealth and avoiding people. By this point there are usually only 30-40 people left, because they are all so stupid and jump into contested areas, meaning that most people die in the first 5 minutes. Hopefully you found decent items before the transition, but live with what you have.

6. Always stay at the edge of the storm and time your runs to the circle so you reach it just a bit before the storm does. To elaborate on my strategy, when I see where the next storm circle will be, I have a few thoughts: (a.) My goal is always to stay on the edge of the storm. This is the safest place to hide, but it also means that you will always have to move when the storm shrinks. (b.) When you see that the storm will shrink, don't rush. I'm ok with waiting until 30 seconds beforehand and running to the next spot, with the storm moving just behind me. My rationale is that by that point most people have already ran to the next spot, so it is safe to be running out in the open. (c.) Don't just take a straight line to the next spot. First, look at the new storm circle and pick a spot on the circle that looks desolate --that is your new hiding spot. Next, proceed there in a round-about way if needed, in order to avoid towns and other busy areas. I'm ok with moving in open areas, but I try to move through hills, valleys, and other landscapes that allow cover from being seen by a distant sniper.

7. Resist the temptation to engage with people unless absolutely required. Sure you get a kill, and you get their loot, but the risk of being killed or severely injured is much higher. (For example, in the game I won, I was hiding in a bush at one point with 16 guys left. A guy ran right by my bush without noticing me. It took a lot of restraint, but attacking that guy was not worth the risk and I let him run right by me.) Leave the killing to someone else - you're here to win.

8. Even at the end of the game, with a few people left, try to hide and let everyone else kill themselves. Ideally, you go head to head with one guy. If you join the fray earlier, you might have 3 guys turn their attention to you.

9. The best all around weapons are in the Assault Rifle class - always have one. Shotguns are good to have for close combat. Snipe rifles are nice if you're good at sniping. And a grenade launcher or rocket launcher is good at the very end (never a good reason to use them before then, since they give up your position).

10. People who often win are excellent at building and create huge fortresses to protect themselves, especially at the very end. Because I focus more on stealth, I don't do much building, because it gives away your position. However, it is a viable strategy and, if nothing else, you need basic building skills to create structure quickly during a firefight, or to reach difficult places.

11. DOWNLOAD THIS GAME! (It's free.) P.S. People love watching this game. Even my wife likes it, and there's no chance she would watch any other shooter. It's great to play online with friends too, so get it already....

DaHeckIzDat

Re: Fortnite (PS4)

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 25th, 2018, 10:58 pm

Retro STrife wrote:9. The best all around weapons are in the Assault Rifle class - always have one. Shotguns are good to have for close combat. Snipe rifles are nice if you're good at sniping. And a grenade launcher or rocket launcher is good at the very end (never a good reason to use them before then, since they give up your position).

Any time I get a sniper rifle, I know I'm in for a good match. For anyone who actually wants to take out a few other players on their own, by far the best way to do that is from a long distance. It doesn't really matter if you miss them, because you'll be too far away from them to do anything back. Besides, most players will run for the hills after you take the first shot at them anyway.

Return to “Now Playing”