The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest (N64)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest (N64)

Postby Herschie » March 12th, 2018, 12:48 pm

You're probably wondering just how I'm playing this on the N64. I mean, it was included in the Gamecube version of OoT, and never released on N64. Well, I have an N64 flash cart, and I was able to get the ROM on there. And it works on the N64, which is how I like to play it anyway, especially with my Framemeister. Which is good, because much like Legend of Zelda, I can beat Ocarina of Time in my sleep. So it's good to have a whole nother quest.

I'm telling you, Nintendo can make a fortune here. I'm starting to think that we don't need any new Zelda games, just different quests of previous titles that they can release on the Virtual Console. Or where you can purchase the ROM on the website. I'd certainly buy each and every one of them. It'd be cool if they even had a graphical update, much like how Nintendo partnered with Grezzo on the 3DS.

Master Quest had me temporarily stumped a few times, because even though I have already beaten it before, I don't remember everything about it, so much of it is new and challenging. I just wish it were a bit harder, to where the enemies caused double damage, or if your sword was half as strong. Or both. And the only thing that's changed are the dungeons, meaning that their locations and how you access them are exactly the same. That wasn't the case in the second quest of LoZ.

So going back to my previous idea of different quests, I'd love it if they did something like that, but I think that more needs to change, including the maps and sidequests. I'm still enjoying the heck out of this one, and I wish they had something similar for other titles, especially Majora's Mask.

ESauce

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest (N64)

Postby ESauce » March 12th, 2018, 1:02 pm

I would have loved it if they’d remixed the Majoras Mask dungeon for the 3DS remake. I felt like I got more than my money’s worth with the 3ds remake of Ocarina because I’d never played through Master Quest before. I have the main game dungeons pretty well memorized by now so the master quest meant I actually saw something new. I really enjoyed it.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » March 12th, 2018, 8:53 pm

Have you played the 3DS version? They must've agreed with you, because I believe the enemies do have their damage doubled on it.

Master Quest is also mirrored on the 3DS, which was another neat change.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » March 20th, 2018, 9:49 am

Atariboy wrote:Have you played the 3DS version? They must've agreed with you, because I believe the enemies do have their damage doubled on it.

Master Quest is also mirrored on the 3DS, which was another neat change.

Yep, beat that awhile ago. You know something weird, that's when I first noticed the map similarities between Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. Probably because both the 3DS Master Quest and the Wii version of Twilight Princess are mirrored. I noticed it when I was going from Kakariko Village up the stairs to the Death Mountain trail. Felt a lot like Twilight Princess.

I do prefer the old N64 graphics though. Something very charming about them. You might say that I embrace the imperfections.

Return to “Now Playing”