Axiom Verge (Switch)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Axiom Verge (Switch)

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 23rd, 2018, 9:31 pm

This is basically Metroid for the Switch, combining the best of the old school (2D gameplay, pixelated graphics, great music) with the best of modern games (umm... big explosions?). There's one particular sound effect that sounds just like Defender. The music is really sensational and there are actually a lot of original elements in this. So far I really like it.

newmodelarmy

Re: Axiom Verge (Switch)

Postby newmodelarmy » March 24th, 2018, 8:38 pm

I have been on the fence about this game. On one hand I hear it is great and on the other I hear it a confusing mess filled with monotonous back tracking. Make that review happen!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 25th, 2018, 1:18 pm

I bought this game for PS4, but haven't had a chance to play it yet. I bought it because I like games like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and was hoping this might have similarities. Looking forward to your take.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 25th, 2018, 4:03 pm

So far this game is so good I can't believe it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 25th, 2018, 7:55 pm

The only bad thing I can say about this is that I wish I had a controller with a proper d-pad.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 5th, 2018, 8:56 pm

Figures that after I order a Pro Controller I finish the game before it arrives!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 6th, 2018, 9:22 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Figures that after I order a Pro Controller I finish the game before it arrives!

Looking forward to this review. While I already bought the game, I haven't had a chance to play it yet. It'll probably be awhile before I do, unless your review inspires me to bump it ahead of my current backlog.

Even though you've completed the game, I hope that you'll go back and play a little bit with the Pro Controller. I think it's important to confirm if the controller was actually the issue, or if the game itself is the problem.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 6th, 2018, 7:36 pm

Just re-played the final boss with the pro controller, and boy what a difference it made!
I will post the review this weekend.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » April 7th, 2018, 3:24 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Just re-played the final boss with the pro controller, and boy what a difference it made!
I will post the review this weekend.

What version of the pro controller, standard: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nintendo-Swi ... 09&veh=sem or this: https://www.google.com/search?q=switch+ ... aiQ01qcvmM:

Return to “Now Playing”