Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (Genesis)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (Genesis)

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 26th, 2018, 12:21 pm

This game is harder than I remember. I guess it's easier if you save your progress after each zone. I don't care for the blue orb bonus stages.

One thing I love about these original Sonic games is the exploration aspect. If you just start looking around you almost always find a hidden area or new route.

Looking forward to Sonic Mania on the Switch!

CharlieR

Re: Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (Genesis)

Postby CharlieR » March 26th, 2018, 2:47 pm

I think Sonic & Knuckles is harder. I rarely get past flying battery. Sonic 3 I usually die on marble garden.

I do like the first game a lot. Something about the environments of green hill and spring yard zones. Labyrinth boss can go to heck, though. I've never beaten it. Sonic 2 I can usually get to Metropolis before dying. Those two are always fun to go back to.

What I always wondered was, when and why did Dr. Robotnik change his name to Dr. Eggman?

Sut

Postby Sut » March 26th, 2018, 3:17 pm

I love Sonic 3, I think the level design in this game is the best in the series. Also it’s got (as per usual with Sonic games) a great soundtrack especially Ice Cap Zone.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » March 26th, 2018, 6:48 pm

How can anyone play this? It's only partially a game. Sonic 3 and Knuckles is the full game!

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » March 26th, 2018, 7:11 pm

I've never been completely sold on Sonic 3 or Sonic & Knuckles. They look, sound, and even play like a million bucks, but the level design gets pretty iffy, with long, gimmicky slogs like Marble Garden Zone and Sandopolis Zone - and on this one, Carnival Night Zone, the biggest, draggiest, most garishly grating level in any Sonic game that I've played. Icecap Zone and Launch Base Zone start out great, then fall apart in their second acts. I do like Hydrocity Zone for the speedy ramps and slides, and Angel Island Zone is a perfect level that's a strong contender for the best in the series, but overall, I'd rank all three of the other Genesis games above Sonic 3. I do think that the level sequencing and sheer amount of content in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, plus that awesome "zap" attack and the three shields, put the combined pair above the original Sonic the Hedgehog.

CharlieR wrote:What I always wondered was, when and why did Dr. Robotnik change his name to Dr. Eggman?

Sonic Adventure, matching up with the Japanese version. It's like how the western Final Fantasy games "skipped" IV through VI.

Rev

Postby Rev » April 8th, 2018, 12:58 pm

Robotrek wrote:How can anyone play this? It's only partially a game. Sonic 3 and Knuckles is the full game!

Agreed... I don't understand why you would play half the game? With only the S3 part you can't even access all of the first part of the game since you can't play Knuckles and his parts of the stages are blocked off for Sonic and Tails...

Still, I'm looking forward to Sonic Mania as well! Counting this one down!

Return to “Now Playing”