Tiny Barbarian DX (Switch)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Tiny Barbarian DX (Switch)

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 16th, 2018, 10:43 pm

This game is exactly what I was expecting - an old school platformer with various nods to the classics. It's not great though and the stage designs can be pretty annoying. Full review forthcoming, but seems pretty average.

Maybe I should not have played Axiom Verge first!

Sonicx9

Re: Tiny Barbarian DX (Switch)

Postby Sonicx9 » April 17th, 2018, 9:51 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:This game is exactly what I was expecting - an old school platformer with various nods to the classics. It's not great though and the stage designs can be pretty annoying. Full review forthcoming, but seems pretty average.

Maybe I should not have played Axiom Verge first!

Critic, related to what you said about that game, a podcast around the 17 to 24 minute mark: https://ia800608.us.archive.org/21/item ... tEp168.mp3 make a good point about the problem with these retro 8 bit/16 bit style games is they have the look but don't exactly play like 8 bit/16 bit style games even on the ones that are good. And some of them are like Retro City Rampage and it DX update are not very good to begin with. In fact the problem is they rely on the style of the graphics then the game play polish. The reasons why games like Axiom Verge and Shovel Knight work is they not only have the look, but are also playable and polish with their on refinements made. Also Gunlord on Dreamcast was that to. They also say how most big Kickstarters don't work either "cough" "cough" Mighty No. 9 "cough" "cough" Yooka-Laylee (yes I know it is not as bad as Mighty No. 9, but falls flat compared to both Shovel Knight and A Hat in Time.)

Return to “Now Playing”