Uncharted 2 vs. Uncharted 4?

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Retro STrife

Uncharted 2 vs. Uncharted 4?

Postby Retro STrife » April 17th, 2018, 12:45 pm

For years, I was never interested in the Uncharted series, despite the excellent reviews. So I never played any of the three PS3 games. Flash forward to my PS4, which came bundled with Uncharted 4. I figured it was time that I finally try the series. As it turns out, Uncharted 4 was my favorite current gen game that I played in all of 2017. Loved all the climbing and exploration, and a surprisingly good story to go along with it. Despite liking it so much, I figured I wouldn't ever play any other games in the series, because I have too many games in my backlog.

But now, a year later, I was craving to play the series again. Before Uncharted 4 came along, Uncharted 2 seemed to be the undisputed champ of the series. So I was considering giving it a try and bought the Uncharted Collection on PS4 (which has remastered versions of the three PS3 games). Then my brother tells me I gotta play Uncharted 2.. Like me, he played Uncharted 4 first and really liked it. Then he went back and played Uncharted 2. His opinion... Uncharted 2 is better. That finally spurred me to play it, and I'm now 90% of the way through Uncharted 2. Just a few chapters left to beat it.

My thoughts.. Personally, I disagree with him. Uncharted 2 is very good, but I think Uncharted 4 has much better locales and story. The brother storyline and husband-wife dynamic of Uncharted 4 is so much more interesting to me, and the pirate backstory in Uncharted 4 is better than the Shambhala backstory in Uncharted 2. While the gameplay is very similar, Uncharted 4 is a little more refined too. If I had to give one edge to Uncharted 2, it would be the shorter length (about 10-15 hours).. I felt that Uncharted 4 stretched out about 5 hours too long.

If you've never tried an Uncharted game, I definitely recommend it. Uncharted 4 does a good job filling in the backstory, so don't worry if you skip the prior ones. For those that have played the series, what are your thoughts? Which is your favorite?

CharlieR

Re: Uncharted 2 vs. Uncharted 4?

Postby CharlieR » April 17th, 2018, 2:01 pm

I do not have a ps4, so I have not played Uncharted 4. It looks awesome from what I have seen. Uncharted 2 was a very good game that had me interested from start to finish. The action slows down a little for me when you are in the Egyptian tombs with the climbing segments. The final boss could also be taken advantage of and beaten pretty easily as well.

I may be in the minority, But I really liked the first game. The third game was awesome when I first played it, and the game had a lot larger environments, but wasn't as exciting for me when I went back to play it.

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » April 19th, 2018, 3:56 pm

Check out lost legacy as well, though not as long , it’s a great addition to the series and would love to see them continue in this way.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 22nd, 2018, 11:45 pm

CharlieR wrote:I may be in the minority, But I really liked the first game. The third game was awesome when I first played it, and the game had a lot larger environments, but wasn't as exciting for me when I went back to play it.

Ozzybear wrote:Check out lost legacy as well, though not as long , it’s a great addition to the series and would love to see them continue in this way.

Thanks for the heads ups. If I ever play another Uncharted, it would definitely be a toss up between Uncharted 1 and Lost Legacy. The first game appeals to me because it introduces all the characters, and seems to have a slightly different vibe to it since it was a brand new IP.

And Lost Legacy sounds like it might be as good as Uncharted 4. My wife liked watching Uncharted 4, so I think she would really like the Chloe/Nadine storyline of Lost Legacy. (Whereas she hasn't liked Uncharted 2, so I don't think she'll like 1 or 3 much either.) Plus, I like that Lost Legacy has a shorter campaign.

As for #3.. while it got great reviews, it doesn't seem to really have anything to differentiate it from the other games or elevate it above them, so there's not really enough there to interest me in it. Considering my backlog of other games, I have a feeling I'll never end up playing that one.

Return to “Now Playing”