The Disney Afternoon Collection (PS4/XONE/PC) [DuckTales, TaleSpin, Rescue Rangers, and Darkwing Duck]

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Retro STrife

The Disney Afternoon Collection (PS4/XONE/PC) [DuckTales, TaleSpin, Rescue Rangers, and Darkwing Duck]

Postby Retro STrife » April 30th, 2018, 10:35 am

Heads up, this game is currently on sale for download in the Playstation Store for just $5.99 for PS+ members ($7.99 for non-members), discounted from its usual $19.99 price.

I had never heard of this compilation until I saw it in the PS Store, but I'm glad I found it. Anyone in their late 20s to late 30s probably grew up watching some of the cartoons featured in this game. The game is a collection of 6 NES games made by Capcom from 1989-1994, based on Disney cartoons that were popular in the late 80s and early 90s. The NES games featured are DuckTales, DuckTales 2, TaleSpin, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, and Rescue Rangers 2. All the games are in their original 8-bit form. Most of them are standard 2D platformers (though TaleSpin is more of a shooter, from what I've heard). They also have a few bonuses thrown in, including a museum feature. But the biggest additions over the NES versions are the ability to save your progress at any time, and a "rewind" feature that let's you rewind the gameplay (which is very helpful, because these games are all notoriously difficult). So far I've only played the Rescue Rangers games, but they're perfect ports of the originals, and I really appreciate the rewind feature so that I can finally experience the whole game.

The biggest positive, though, has got to be the ability to obtain all 6 of these games for a mere $6. Rescue Rangers 2 and DuckTales 2 are both extremely rare NES games. For a loose cartridge, DT2 sells for around $170 and RR2 sells for around $200! Plus, Darkwing Duck has a $45 resale value, and even DuckTales, TaleSpin, and Rescue Rangers sell for about $15 each. So if you have any interest in trying even one of these NES games, it's well worth the price of admission.

Anyone else tried this one? To my knowledge, the game is download only.. is there a physical release available or planned?

Return to “Now Playing”