Persona 4

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DaHeckIzDat

Persona 4

Postby DaHeckIzDat » April 30th, 2018, 11:21 pm

Everyone told me Persona 3 was amazing, and I tried to like it... really really hard. But in the end, I couldn't escape the fact that I thought it was just boring. Persona 4, on the other hand, is making a much better first impression. For one thing, the characters are a lot more like real people with emotions, making 3's feel like robots in comparison. I'm only 2 1/2 hours in, but I'm actually excited to see where this story goes, as opposed to Person 3, where the story felt like it'd been stapled on at the last minute after making an anime high school simulator.

ptdebate

Re: Persona 4

Postby ptdebate » May 2nd, 2018, 9:29 am

Persona 4 is such a special game.

I think the story is much more immediately interesting than P3’s because of the murder/mystery aspect. Gives the plot lots of forward momentum in contrast to 3’s slow burn.

Glad to hear you’re enjoying it. My only recommendation is to make sure you prepare well for the dungeons. p4 can get wickedly difficult at times. There’s absolutely no shame (or compromise in fun factor) in easy mode either.

JWK

Postby JWK » May 4th, 2018, 1:57 am

It breaks my gaming heart just a *little* that you didn’t like Persona 3. It’s my favorite RPG ever and a probably a Top 5 game ever for me personally. I absolutely loved the cast and story in the game.

But I’m happy to hear you are liking Persona 4. It’s a much more polished game and the story is more accessible and less dark. The characters are fun and the game is a classic.

The obvious next step would be Persona 5. We can talk about that one later. You’ll have your hands full for a while.

David

Postby David » May 4th, 2018, 2:05 pm

JWK wrote:It breaks my gaming heart just a *little* that you didn’t like Persona 3. It’s my favorite RPG ever and a probably a Top 5 game ever for me personally. I absolutely loved the cast and story in the game.

But I’m happy to hear you are liking Persona 4. It’s a much more polished game and the story is more accessible and less dark. The characters are fun and the game is a classic.

The obvious next step would be Persona 5. We can talk about that one later. You’ll have your hands full for a while.

Agreed agreed agreed. Persona 3 isn’t my favorite, but it’s fantastic. The problem is, I think it might be hard to go back to Tartarus after Persona 4’s themed dungeons and Persona 5’s handcrafted dungeons, but it’s still worth going back too. The Persona 3 Portable addition is nice too because it adds not only a female character with new social links, but it’s done in a visual novel style where you don’t have to maneuver your character around towns or classrooms, just the huge Tartarus dungeon.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 4th, 2018, 2:43 pm

My problem with Persona 3's story was that you had to wait for it to happen. Like, you'll have this interesting calamity come out of nowhere, followed by a fun boss fight, and then the game pretty much gives you its version of elevator music for the next in game month, until it decides to throw you a bone the next full moon.

Return to “Now Playing”