Rodea: The Sky Solider (Wii U)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Rodea: The Sky Solider (Wii U)

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 6th, 2018, 8:55 pm

Been trying to play this for two nights now, and have no freaking clue what's going on. These controls are a mess, and there's no literature.

eneuman96

Re: Rodea: The Sky Solider (Wii U)

Postby eneuman96 » May 7th, 2018, 1:18 am

Do you only have the Wii U version or do you also have the bonus Wii version disc? The latter, while still no masterpiece, actually differs in terms of controls and gameplay mechanics and is a better game overall.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » May 7th, 2018, 2:15 am

Do you have the edition in which the original Wii version is included? I haven't played the Wii U-version, but I really enjoyed the Wii edition! The controls in that edition are good enough in my opinion.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » May 7th, 2018, 4:50 am

As others are saying, the Wii U version has the much poorer controls. The Wii version has somewhat frustrating controls sometimes because of the camera, but the Wii U version, despite have dual analog sticks, is just an utter mess.

Sut

Postby Sut » May 7th, 2018, 3:44 pm

Not played the game myself but looking forward to the review, heard it’s something of a ‘rough diamond’.

GTS

Postby GTS » May 7th, 2018, 5:59 pm

Here are some online instructions. Not sure if you have seen them. Be sure to check the other tabs at the bottom of the page.

http://nisamerica.com/games/rodea-the-s ... #skyAction

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 7th, 2018, 6:49 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I do have the Wii disc, and I think I might switch over to that.

This may be a case of a game designed for the Wii but didn't come out in time so it was "adapted" to the Wii U.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » May 9th, 2018, 4:11 pm

As said, I haven't played the Wii U version, only the Wii version. Maybe it took me some time (like half hour) to get into the game, but then I ready liked it and it gave me the feeling of playing Nights. I played all the way through - that is until the final boss, that was impossible for me to beat. Argh!

VicViper

Postby VicViper » May 11th, 2018, 6:11 am

The Wii U version is actually a port of the 3DS version.

Yuji Naka and his team had finished the Wii game rather late in the console's life, in 2011, but Kadokawa Games refused to publish it due to contract stipulations; until they themselves were done with the 3DS version for a simultaneous release.

The 3DS version would be released much later with the Wii U version being an HD port of it, instead of being an HD port of the Wii version.

Here's a bigger (still short) summary of the development story: http://rodea-the-sky-soldier.wikia.com/ ... nt_history

Technically, Rodea: The Sky Soldier on the Wii is a completely different (and superior game) to the 3DS/Wii U version. Imagine it's like Sonic Generations PC/PS3/360 version Vs 3DS version.

Return to “Now Playing”