Dragon's Curse (Turbografx-16)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Dragon's Curse (Turbografx-16)

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 19th, 2018, 8:47 pm

Took me years to track this one down, but I like it. Can't stop playing it really.

It's essentially an enhanced version of Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap for the Sega Master System, but the graphics are better and there's a nice save feature

I went back and played The Dragon's Trap for a little while as a basis of comparison, because I have absolutely zero recollection of playing it (the review was dated 2004). One thing I was surprised about is that you need to press the pause button (on the console) to bring up the items screen. The fact that I didn't mention this in the review was a major oversight.

Sonicx9

Re: Dragon's Curse (Turbografx-16)

Postby Sonicx9 » May 19th, 2018, 10:52 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Took me years to track this one down, but I like it. Can't stop playing it really.

It's essentially an enhanced version of Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap for the Sega Master System, but the graphics are better and there's a nice save feature

I went back and played The Dragon's Trap for a little while as a basis of comparison, because I have absolutely zero recollection of playing it (the review was dated 2004). One thing I was surprised about is that you need to press the pause button (on the console) to bring up the items screen. The fact that I didn't mention this in the review was a major oversight.

BTW it not the only enhanced version of Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap, a 2017 remake was also made and is physical on PS4 and Switch.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEflx4JsbXg

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 20th, 2018, 2:34 pm

Great point Sonic. How many games from that era merit physical release in 2018?
It really speaks to the quality of the game.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » May 20th, 2018, 3:43 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Great point Sonic. How many games from that era merit physical release in 2018?
It really speaks to the quality of the game.

Not many like that, and for the remake it is a must play especially on Switch which BTW outsold the other versions.: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/0 ... s_combined Proves the Switch is well suited for family friendly platformers like this!

Return to “Now Playing”