The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time-Nightmare (N64)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time-Nightmare (N64)

Postby Herschie » May 21st, 2018, 11:17 pm

This is one incredibly fun homebrew hack of Ocarina of Time! So here's the thing; I get an extremely warm feeling when I play any Zelda game, especially Ocarina of Time. But it's gotten stale over the years. I mean, I know where everything is, I know how to easily beat each enemy, easily beat each boss. There's absolutely no challenge anymore whatsoever! Seriously, who here can't beat that game with their eyes closed?

But then, I decided to give this homebrew hack a whirl.

From my Breath of the Wild post:

Herschie wrote:Weapons are scarce, and enemies are tough.

This game is no different. Remember the Guays, those flying bats that were basically outdoor Keese? Yeah, they never were much of an issue. They killed me in Nightmare. Remember the Wolfos? Easy peasy, right? Not in Nightmare! The Mad Deku Scrubs? Who the hell gets killed by a Mad Deku Scrub? He who plays Nightmare, that's who!

And the map and quest is so very different! You'll see it at the very beginning of the game. All these places you had no issues getting into suddenly have a rock or a gate in front of them, and now you have to figure out how to get past it. And it won't be easy.

I'm playing this through my Framemeister on the N64 Flash Cart. Game works perfectly on it.

I want to thank Rookie for pointing me towards the ISO Zone in another topic:

http://videogamecritic.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=134793

Thanks, too, Mimi85, I'll get around to those other ones as well. But I am so ecstatic that I can once again enjoy Ocarina of Time in what is basically the 3rd quest! And I have another after this; Zelda's Birthday.

I'm going to have to ask that nobody post any spoilers in this thread. Thanks.

ESauce

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time-Nightmare (N64)

Postby ESauce » May 31st, 2018, 2:00 pm

I wonder if I can get this working on a softmodded wii. I love Ocarina but I’ve played it to death. I could use a little challenge

Voor

Postby Voor » May 31st, 2018, 5:06 pm

For you dudes that love a game to death but it gets stale or too easy, you can try speedrunning. The OoT speedrunning community is actually VERY active.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » May 31st, 2018, 9:47 pm

ESauce wrote:I wonder if I can get this working on a softmodded wii. I love Ocarina but I’ve played it to death. I could use a little challenge

I was thinking about getting one of those, since it would vastly cut down on the wires. I'm sure you can, since it's an actual N64 rom file that works on the actual N64.

Voor wrote:For you dudes that love a game to death but it gets stale or too easy, you can try speedrunning. The OoT speedrunning community is actually VERY active.

Never actually done this, but I might try one.

And this game gets REAL hard, REAL quick. I'm stuck, actually.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » June 1st, 2018, 10:37 am

I downloaded it and got it working on my Wii last night. I’ll post impressions when I get a chance to try it (probably not for a while).

And yeah, the n64 emulation on wii isn’t great but it runs some games well and older generations it does great with. I don’t have room to connect all my older consoles so it’s nice to be able to have one system I can hook up to play my games.

Return to “Now Playing”