Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle (Atari 2600)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle (Atari 2600)

Postby Herschie » June 6th, 2018, 8:49 am

I forget how I found out so many years ago that you can use the Genesis controller on the Atari 2600, but I'm sure glad I did! Especially for games like this where you need to perform a series of very specific jumps, and just merely touching a wall kills you instantly. I honestly have no idea how anyone in 1982 so much as got past the first screen with that joystick.

But I tell ya, this game isn't half bad. Almost has a Mario feeling to it, just not with the precise controls. And you don't seem to be able to attack in any way, shape, or form. So you're basically just dodging everything while trying to make the unforgiving jumps.

Like most Atari games, this was fun for about seven minutes.

Atarifever

Re: Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle (Atari 2600)

Postby Atarifever » June 6th, 2018, 9:52 pm

Herschie wrote:this was fun for about seven minutes.

<insert that's what she said joke>

Anyway, I'm interested in why you would only think this was fun for about 7 minutes. I think that one is fun for a very long time. The difficulty, IIRC, ramps nicely and there are some changes the first bunch of times through. I think it's a pretty great 2600 game with a lot of replay value.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » June 8th, 2018, 11:07 am

Atarifever wrote:
Herschie wrote:this was fun for about seven minutes.

<insert that's what she said joke>

Anyway, I'm interested in why you would only think this was fun for about 7 minutes. I think that one is fun for a very long time. The difficulty, IIRC, ramps nicely and there are some changes the first bunch of times through. I think it's a pretty great 2600 game with a lot of replay value.

I am with AF on this one. A truly superb game.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » June 8th, 2018, 1:16 pm

Atari 2600 games don't have much depth to them. I actually grew up on the NES, and games have only gotten better since then. Even a few NES games like Zelda or Metroid can hold my attention. But even with the best Atari 2600 games, I find myself enjoying them immensely at first, but then quickly getting bored.

I guess it just boils down to personal preference, and the lack of nostalgia I feel on some of the later systems.

Return to “Now Playing”