Mario Tennis Aces

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
newmodelarmy

Mario Tennis Aces

Postby newmodelarmy » June 24th, 2018, 8:19 am

Anybody else pick this up?

I was really looking forward to this game and while I don't normally pick new games up day 1 I threw caution against the wind and picked this up yesterday. I should have waited for a price drop! If you are buying this for the single player game I cannot recommend it. The tournament mode against the computer is painfully easy and the adventure mode is rather dull and boring. Basically the adventure mode is a series of lame mini games that culminate into a boss battle.

The online mode is decent and easy enough to find opponents. However, for whatever reason your win/loss record resets every time you play. What is up with that? Also, the game relies heavily on special shots so the online matches tend to be a race as to who can fill their power meter the fastest.

This game reminds me of "Arms" which was a decent game that did not have much substance to it. I would not recommend picking this game up at $60.

ActRaiser

Re: Mario Tennis Aces

Postby ActRaiser » June 24th, 2018, 11:56 am

Thanks for posting your experience with it! You saved me $60. (Or 48 with Best Buys discount). I'm still slowly working my way through Axiom Verge but want to pick up something new. Between Arms and Tennis which would you prefer? With a new house and toddler these days I get about 20 to 30 minutes a night to play if I'm lucky. I would like something simple, fun, and not already on the Wii U, maybe, the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary edition. Thoughts? Thanks!

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » June 24th, 2018, 12:43 pm

ActRaiser wrote:Thanks for posting your experience with it! You saved me $60. (Or 48 with Best Buys discount). I'm still slowly working my way through Axiom Verge but want to pick up something new. Between Arms and Tennis which would you prefer? With a new house and toddler these days I get about 20 to 30 minutes a night to play if I'm lucky. I would like something simple, fun, and not already on the Wii U, maybe, the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary edition. Thoughts? Thanks!

Between Arms and Mario Tennis I would recommend the latter. Arms is not a very compelling single player game at all. I like Steamworld Dig 2 if you are looking for a game that is fun to play in small bursts. Of course, there is always Mario Odyssey if you haven't checked that out already. I have the 30th Anniversary SF game and it is good, but you must have a fighting stick in order to play it properly.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » June 24th, 2018, 1:53 pm

Thanks for the advice!

Much appreciated

Voor

Postby Voor » June 24th, 2018, 9:10 pm

Is there a “no gimmicks” mode for online play?

*by the way, I’m also a gamer dad who plays in 20-30 minute bursts. Most platformers are good for this, as well as racers (like Mario Kart). Our primary console is a Wii, but I got a lot of use out of my 2DS for this reason alone—easier to play while kids are asleep since not using a TV.

I’d like to try a RPG (earthbound, undertale), but it’s probably impossible right now. lol.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » June 25th, 2018, 5:59 am

[quote="Voor"]Is there a “no gimmicks” mode for online play?

That's a good question, I am not sure. It could use one because all the online matches delve into the first person being able to do any number of special attacks which do not require much skill.

This game really needs stat tracking as well and other modes. I played doubles with my daughter against the CPU and it was fun but with no real modes available to "doubles" (that I can tell) outside of individual matches I can see this becoming boring rather quickly. This game doesn't feel very complete to me.

Has anybody else picked this up?

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » June 26th, 2018, 12:31 am

Eh.

Something about Mario themed sports games, at least the non-rpg/Camelot games, doesn’t interest me at all.

The Switch schedule is a bit too crowded for me to bother with this. Flashback 25th Anniversary, Night Trap, Wolfenstein II, Octopath, and Dark Souls Remaster will be taking up most of my time.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » June 26th, 2018, 6:37 am

BanjoPickles wrote:Eh.

Something about Mario themed sports games, at least the non-rpg/Camelot games, doesn’t interest me at all.

The Switch schedule is a bit too crowded for me to bother with this. Flashback 25th Anniversary, Night Trap, Wolfenstein II, Octopath, and Dark Souls Remaster will be taking up most of my time.

I just finished Wolfenstein II on the Xbox One, I will be interested in what you have to say about that game once it comes out. I played the Octopath demo and that is certainly a beautiful game but not my cup of tea. Is there an easy mode yet for Dark Souls?????

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » June 26th, 2018, 2:39 pm

newmodelarmy wrote:
BanjoPickles wrote:Eh.

I just finished Wolfenstein II on the Xbox One, I will be interested in what you have to say about that game once it comes out. I played the Octopath demo and that is certainly a beautiful game but not my cup of tea. Is there an easy mode yet for Dark Souls?????

God, I hope not! Haha! Seriously, though, I don't think that Dark Souls Remaster has an easy mode, and I don't know if it ever will.

Definitely! I was impressed with Doom, and I think that Wolfenstein II will be even better! What appeals to me about Octopath is the SNES aesthetic; it almost looks like a remake of Final Fantasy VI!

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » July 5th, 2018, 6:06 pm

Mario Tennis again. Really when did that one first come out? NES? SNES an all these years later it is out again for the umpteempth time. Time for Sonic tennis? Perhaps not. Though I hate tennis and it is Wimbledon month in London. Snore.

There is a game I played on xbox 1 which could be good if you want a night trap type game. It is called Late Shift. It is a visual novel with many paths to take. Not all are good for you. Well worth picking up for ten dollars or pounds. Not worth any more on the switch due to the longevity.

Return to “Now Playing”