RBI Baseball 95 (Sega 32X)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

RBI Baseball 95 (Sega 32X)

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 6th, 2018, 10:21 pm

Finally getting around to playing this, but it keeps locking up on me. Worse yet, it display some kind if address error message on the screen.

Tried cleaning it but to no avail. Anybody ever heard of problems with this game? I'm wondering if it could be my Genesis 1/Sega CD combo that's causing the issue.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: RBI Baseball 95 (Sega 32X)

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 7th, 2018, 9:46 am

Haven't seen any reports of this issue on the internet. Tried a new system configuration and same problem. So I picked up a new cart (cheap) off ebay. It's pretty rare to get a bum cart, but we'll see.

I'm actually very interested in reviewing this since it looks like a major upgrade over RBI 94 for the Genesis. The players are much larger and more realistic.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 13th, 2018, 5:05 pm

Well I got the cart, and it works. The old one was actually broken! In all my years of collecting, only a handful of carts have been completely broken.

Anyway I popped in the game and couldn't stop playing! It's pretty good - combining the realistic of World Series Baseball and the arcade action of Sportstalk. As you might imagine, it does feel a bit undercooked with a lot of minor glitches. Still, fun.

Review forthcoming.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » July 13th, 2018, 6:14 pm

Nice to see how much they've improved the umpire saying "Yer out!" since "World Championship Baseball" on the Intellivision.

SegaRiddle1990

Postby SegaRiddle1990 » July 13th, 2018, 8:44 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Well I got the cart, and it works. The old one was actually broken! In all my years of collecting, only a handful of carts have been completely broken.

Anyway I popped in the game and couldn't stop playing! It's pretty good - combining the realistic of World Series Baseball and the arcade action of Sportstalk. As you might imagine, it does feel a bit undercooked with a lot of minor glitches. Still, fun.

Review forthcoming.

I actually went through something similar to that once with Virtua Racer Deluxe. Several years ago, I found a guy on ebay selling brand new sealed copies of the game for 10-15 bucks each and I bought it, I remember being VERY excited since I was and still am a huge Virtua Racing fan. Problem was, when I plugged in the game, it would never work despite it having been brand-new-old-stock and thus never opened. It always locked up right on the Sega Sports logo when I turned it on, and was perfectly fine whenever I played my Star Wars 32X cartridge. Basically, I ended up getting a bad game right out of the sealed box and couldn't return it...Glad you got your RBI Baseball cart replaced, looking forward to the review!

goldenband

Postby goldenband » July 13th, 2018, 11:01 pm

Nice -- really glad the new cart worked out for you! Some 32X games are notorious for problems on certain systems, especially Knuckles Chaotix, but I'd never heard of RBI '95 causing a problem.

Looking forward to the review!

noah98

Postby noah98 » July 13th, 2018, 11:50 pm

The only cartridge to ever die on me back in the day was NBA Jam for 32X!

I've also found in collecting that TI99/4a, Genesis, and Colecovision carts are not as reliable as the Atari and Nintendo ones. Activision 2600 carts are also notoriously finnicky.

Still, I trust carts way more than the pile of scratched/ruined discs I've encountered over the years!

Return to “Now Playing”