Pac Man (Apple II)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
scotland

Pac Man (Apple II)

Postby scotland » July 18th, 2018, 1:03 pm

Pac Man on the Apple II

1983 by Atari
Size: 24K

appleIIpacman.JPG
appleIIpacman.JPG (32.37 KiB) Viewed 1415 times

and a short video
https://youtu.be/zsZv4xaXgj0

I've been enjoying playing Pac Man across a few systems. This one is just on an Apple II emulator. Its quite a nice little home Pac Man game with the joystick.

Retro STrife

Re: Pac Man (Apple II)

Postby Retro STrife » July 19th, 2018, 2:01 pm

Nice. I actually have this game for my Apple IIe computer, but I've never played it. (Then again, I haven't bothered to play any Pac-Man port since getting my arcade Pac-Man machine.) Looks like a fun version from the screenshot, though. Unfortunately, I've never really played my IIe as much as I would like, except replaying some of the educational titles that I played in school as a kid (Oregon Trail, Number Munchers, Carmen Sandiego, etc.).

scotland

Postby scotland » July 19th, 2018, 3:09 pm

Thanks for the reply. I am jealous of the arcade pacman.

The Apple IIe was also one my computers in school. Among other things, I did a lot ASCII art on a green monochromatic screen. Its such a step up from the TRS 80, with its color graphics, but they cost more too.

Pacman is impressive when you realize the Apple Ii does not have hardware sprites (although 3rd parties made graphics boards supporting sprites). The Apple II also had limited sound ability, so a lot of software routines going on here.

Pac Man was the game we would sneak onto the Apple II against the no-games policy at school. Pac Man in shades of green - who knew the Gameboy would make gaming that way a thing.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 19th, 2018, 10:22 pm

I find this pretty impressive. The fact that Pac-Man isn't yellow is odd though.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » July 20th, 2018, 2:16 am

You mean to tell me that my father could have bought this for me way back when I was young? We had an Apple II Plus, I think it had like 64k of ram. Best game we had was this poker game where I figured out I could win every time by bluffing the computer.

Let's just say it was a good day when he came home with my NES.

scotland

Postby scotland » July 20th, 2018, 7:26 pm

Ya coulda had Pacman!

The game was made for the base Apple II with enough RAM, so your Plus could have run it just fine if it had the RAM too.

As for the white Pacman, I have a theory. Even though the Apple II had color graphics, many of us used a monochrome monitor. Those were either in green or amber. It possible that Pac Man is not yellow so that he would show up on whatever monitor the person was using.

I put the emulator on Amber to see what the effect is - here you go, one yellow Pac Man

pacman_yellow2.jpg
pacman_yellow2.jpg (53.19 KiB) Viewed 1275 times

Notice the one near white ghost is also yellow, and the other three colors of ghost are that horrible striped look, and even the blue maze is dotted now. The effect is similar on a green monochrome monitor. Its an odd feeling to switch it to the green monochrome and have that feel totally natural.

Return to “Now Playing”