Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis)

Postby Herschie » July 21st, 2018, 8:46 pm

I remember when I was a kid, they'd write our detentions on carbon paper, and they gave us the yellow copy to get signed by your parents. Perhaps had I not gotten so many of those yellow slips, I would have had a leg to stand on when I asked my parents for a Sega Genesis back in the early 90s.

But I have it now. And a Genesis. And a CRT. Oh, and surround sound. I never expected the sound to be so good with the booming bass, but it sounds quite nice with my subwoofer. Hey, it is called "Sonic"! So far, I just breezed through the first level before my wife wanted to watch a TV show with me, but I really could have seen myself playing this quite often when I was young. Certainly would have played this before "Bible Adventures", which my mom for some reason wanted me to have. Must have been all those yellow detention slips!

What I'm trying to figure out is how I would have played it outside. We'd get a sword and play Zelda, a baseball bat and play "Bases Loaded" (I remember trying to imitate some of the weird pitching motions), get on our proton packs and play "Ghostbusters". I drew the line at trying to break bricks with my head pretending I was Mario. Don't think my friends didn't try to convince me though. And when I wanted to play "Indiana Jones", I remember my parents bought me a leather jacket instead of the German army uniform I had wanted. Hey, history wasn't my thing at the time!

Definitely could not run fast enough to pretend I was Sonic.

Of course, with all those stupid yellow slips, often I wasn't playing much of anything when I was stuck in my room grounded. Not even "Bible Adventures".

Return to “Now Playing”