Sports Champions/The Shoot (PS3/Move)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » September 24th, 2011, 10:25 pm

Well, took the plunge (of sorts) and bought a couple of Move controllers and some games.  "The Shoot" is a decent on-rails lightgun-type game.  "Sports Champions" has a "Wii Sports/Sports Resort" feel, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Controls seem pretty responsive and (maybe) more accurate than a Wii with motion-plus.  Only exception is "The Shoot", which can get sort of off-target when you try juking to avoid incoming rounds.  "Sport Champions" disc golf is very similar to Wii "Tiger Woods" disc golf, which is fine.  They're fun, simple games. 

I am currently in the process of downloading the "Resistance 3" demo to see how "hardcore" (ha!) games play with the gizmo.

- Mark

Scott

Postby Scott » September 25th, 2011, 11:55 am

I have both of these titles as well.
Sports Champions- I think is a very good title (B+) controls are very responsive, yes similiar in game play to Wii Sports but the graphics are much better. I like the disc golf is the best mini game on the disc and think it is heads above Tiger Woods Disc Golf.

The Shoot (C) - I think this title had great potential but as mentioned the controls can be a little off at times. The premise of the game is very good and layed out well with 3 different scenarios and scoring is unique but control scheme ruins this; otherwise would be a B+ game, very entertaining still.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 25th, 2011, 12:41 pm

It seems like Sony's Move isn't exactly setting the world on fire.  Are there games that justify buying this thing?

I noticed House of the Dead Overkill is coming out for the PS3 next month, so maybe that's the excuse I need.

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » September 25th, 2011, 4:32 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]It seems like Sony's Move isn't exactly setting the world on fire.  Are there games that justify buying this thing?

I noticed House of the Dead Overkill is coming out for the PS3 next month, so maybe that's the excuse I need.

[/QUOTE]

Well, if you're curious at all about the thing (especially if you've already got a Playstation Eye camera), it is on sale now at Gamestop.  Several of the games (The Shoot, The Fight (wow, clever naming for those two), Start the Party, EyePet, etc.) are on sale for $10 each, too.  

I tried the Resistance 3 demo for a few minutes with the Move controllers, not sure I like it any better than playing Conduit or COD:World at War on the Wii.  I'll have to mess with the demo some more, maybe tweak the sensitivity...

- Mark

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 25th, 2011, 8:19 pm

Are you telling me my old Playstation Eye Toy camera works with the Move controllers??

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » September 25th, 2011, 11:05 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Are you telling me my old Playstation Eye Toy camera works with the Move controllers??
[/QUOTE]

No, not the old PS2 EyeToy camera, the PS3 one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Eye

Got mine a couple of years ago in the bargain rack at Target, along with the "Eye of Judgement" augmented-reality card game.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » September 26th, 2011, 12:58 pm

Haha...The Eye of Judgment.  I bought that game as well.  It's certainly a cool little game.  I never take the time to set up the camera and play, but I remember having some fun with it.

Sony needs to get that Sorcery game out for the Move ASAP.  Whatever happened to that game?  Did it get cancelled?  

Luke

Postby Luke » September 27th, 2011, 5:31 am

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Are there games that justify buying this thing?

[/QUOTE]

Killzone 3

Resistance 3

SOCOM 4

Dead Space Extraction HD

Time Crisis: Razing Storm

Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2011

Modern Combat Domination (PSN)

Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition

Child of Eden

MAG

MLB 11: The Show

NBA 2K11

Heavy Rain

Racquet Sports

Virtua Tennis 4

The Sly Collection

Future Games:

Sorcery

Bioshock Infinite

Goldeneye 007 Reloaded

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Luke

Postby Luke » September 27th, 2011, 5:32 am

[QUOTE=ZetaX][QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]It seems like Sony's Move isn't exactly setting the world on fire.  Are there games that justify buying this thing?

[/QUOTE]

Well, if you're curious at all about the thing (especially if you've already got a Playstation Eye camera), it is on sale now at Gamestop.  Several of the games (The Shoot, The Fight (wow, clever naming for those two), Start the Party, EyePet, etc.) are on sale for $10 each, too.  

I tried the Resistance 3 demo for a few minutes with the Move controllers, not sure I like it any better than playing Conduit or COD:World at War on the Wii.  I'll have to mess with the demo some more, maybe tweak the sensitivity...

- Mark
[/QUOTE]Buy a Sony Sharpshooter. It'll make all the difference in the world.

0-Storm

Postby 0-Storm » September 27th, 2011, 3:22 pm

I love Wii Sports & Wii Sports Resort. The one thing that bothers me is that there is no career modes. I would love to buy a motion-based sports game developed by any one of the big three that had a career mode. Boxing, baseball, tennis, hockey, golf, even bowling.

Let me guess. The one area that Kinect & Move could've improved on over the Wii Sports games (Career Mode) is the one area they didn't.  

Return to “Now Playing”