Vectrex Sectis and Nebula Commander

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Vectorguy

Postby Vectorguy » September 24th, 2011, 11:56 pm

(Actually a bit of a cross between what I'm playing nowadays and even a brief review of each, but what the hey, it could go in either here or the reviews page, if you ask me...

These are my two current ones; actually it'd be three if I had a 3D Imager or modern day equivalent, but I don't have either, so I can't play 3D Sector-X  Ah well, some day...

Sectis is monstrously hard; I've played, am really familiar with and have owned nearly 50 games for the system, and this isn't the hardest one, it's THE second hardest.  About 2/3 of the game involve [trying to] shoot[ing] these things called sectoids that, the moment you enter a screen that contains one, it instantly attaches to your ship and spins around at the exact same speed you do, so it's hard to destroy them.  In no time flat all your shields are gone and you get the blasted "game over" screen.  Still, it's addicting for some reason; I give it a 6.5 out of 10, although the frustration factor is high (as was evidenced on the Vectrex newsgroup not long after the game was released last year).

Nebula Commander, on the other hand, is killer, where you and an opponent have these space stations that you must build weapons and attack the other station with.  You use a tractor beam to draw in space crystals that float around to give you enough energy to build missiles and space destroyers.  Very addicting and I don't think there's anything else like it, as it's THE only real time strategy game for the Vectrex, which I give it an 8 out of 10.

http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

Vectorguy

Postby Vectorguy » September 25th, 2011, 1:28 am

Whups, forgot what site I was on for a second!

Lemme redo the ratings summary:

Sectis = C grade

Nebula Commander = A- 

Fury

Postby Fury » November 14th, 2011, 7:25 pm

Just posted a playthrough of Sectis on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Qz9XtpMKc

Just to counter the grade of "C", Revival Magazine scored Sectis a 9/10. It's not nearly as hard as people like to say. It's a "fast-twitch" game and if you're not good at those types of games, you won't do well.

Return to “Now Playing”