Gunmetal for Xbox (or trying)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Truthfulpietro1

Postby Truthfulpietro1 » December 7th, 2011, 5:43 pm

I haven't used my original Xbox in months mind you, but my console wasn't, at first, allowing my to play Gunmetal. I was getting stuck at the very first loading screen and couldn't progress. After a few resets it managed to work and I was able to playthrough the first mission with no trouble. However, after I completed the second mission it froze at the loading screen.

The disc copy in question is a pre-owned copy. I wondering if I should get it cleaned at my Game shop.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » December 7th, 2011, 6:39 pm

A resurfacing might be able to save it, but I'd do some investigation first. Play some other games that really work the disc drive that you've played before and know that they work correctly.

Disc drives go all the time so you might as well rule that out before bothering to do anything else. If your Xbox used a Thompson disc drive, it very well is the disc drive. They're as assured of failing as a launch model Xbox 360 or an early Playstation or Playstation 2.

http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/Images/DVDComparison.jpg

That doesn't show the last model they used (I forget who manufactured it, but they started using a 4th type late in production and it's reliable just as the Phillips and Samsung drives are), but if your system has the Thompson, there's every chance that your issue is due to the drive starting to fail.

Truthfulpietro1

Postby Truthfulpietro1 » December 7th, 2011, 6:46 pm

I've just tried playing Metal Gear Solid: Substance. No problems. Managed to clear a couple of VR side missions.

I guess its definately needing a resurface.

Luke

Postby Luke » December 8th, 2011, 2:05 am

I've been looking for a decent copy of Gun Metal for awhile. How is the gameplay?

Truthfulpietro1

Postby Truthfulpietro1 » December 8th, 2011, 10:56 am

How do I describe the gameplay from the first two missions?

Its a Mech game with an arcade style gameplay.

Your Mech can turn into a plane then back into a walking robot again. It first gets a couple of weapons for both modes. One in each mode has unlimited ammo and is weak while the other is a little stronger but has limited ammo. You get more weapons as the game progress and there is no need to worry about your weapons overheating. Thats the stuff on paper.

As for how its executed the controls are there but nothing special, it doesn't feel great. The fact that I jumped into the first mission and there was no tutorial level (At least that I noticed) is something to consider. It may take a few tries to get used to the controls but, I'm sure a little practice will help.

As for the Combat, its meh: Each enemy has a health bar. The 2nd mission featured enemies that when destroyed can explode setting of a huge radious that can damage you if you are close. As for you Mech, when you are in Robot mode you get a shield, that can recharge if you avoid getting hit for a while and a Hull health bar made out as a 100 and your robot is slow so it would take minutes to move from A to B on its own. As for the Jet mode its obviously quicker but you won't have the shield so any damage you recieve is towards your Hull. You can find ammo and health pickups, I mostly found those at a base that can replenish your supplies. There might some scattered around the level maps but I'm not certain. I completed both missions in less then 5 minutes (at the end of each level it measures how much time it took to complete it).

My initial Grade is: C.

I got my copy for £2.99. That's probably the best price for this right now.

Return to “Now Playing”