Spartan: Total Warrior (Gamecube)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Fingers dripping ink

Postby Fingers dripping ink » March 1st, 2012, 3:45 pm

I recently picked up a bunch of Gamecube and Gameboy Advance titles at a local sale. Among the 40+ titles were two I'd never played before, the first of which is Spartan: Total Warrior. Yesterday it pretty much snowed all day so here are my impressions after multiple hours of playing:

Spartan: Total Warrior is a story-driven combat game. You take the role of a Spartan warrior who is fending off the Roman invasion. The great thing about the game is the scope of the battles; like the game it was fashioned from (Rome: Total War) there are hundreds of warriors onscreen during the battles. Unlike that game, this is not about strategy. It's about kicking ass. You're part of an army, and in each battle you go in as one. Battles are fun and challenging but not to the point of being an annoyance. As you go to new areas, there are introductions by characters to tell your story, followed by in-game cutscenes. The voicework in these parts and in the game itself is fairly well done. The control is spot-on, which is necessary for a brawler like this. Going into battle against the hundreds that are thrown against you would be impossible otherwise. As you progress through the game, you earn tokens to increase your health, damage, and power (aka magic power). Along with these necessary increases, you earn new gear such as swords and shields. With these, new spells become available. These spells are impressive. In one case, you shoot lightning into every opposing character around you, killing them instantly. There are other spells but I'll leave them to you to find.

This game is a hell of a lot of fun and you should give it a try.

Ozzybear1

Postby Ozzybear1 » March 2nd, 2012, 2:49 am

I have this game for my gamecube also, this is pure hack n slash fun!!!

Return to “Now Playing”