The Horror Movie Lovers Thread

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
velcrozombie

Re: The Horror Movie Lovers Thread

Postby velcrozombie » June 22nd, 2018, 10:55 am

pacman000 wrote:Saw "I Bury the Living" this weekend.

A man who's elected chairman of a cemetery discovers people die when he marks their plots as occupied. Interesting, but with a dissapointing ending.

Well made. Some scenes are stagey, but that's normal for a 50's film, and they pull off some interesting camera & editing tricks later in the movie, as the protagonist's sanity seems to slip.

I remember reading about this one back when I had my old Leonard Maltin film guide and thinking that it sounding interesting. I'll have to give it a watch one day.

I have a free month of Shudder (a streaming site focused on horror and suspense) and I wanted to cross off some odd movies that I'd been meaning to watch but had never gotten around to. So far I've watched:

Phantasm: One of those films that sometimes gets the "classic horror" label but often gets straight-up ignored. It's an odd film about strange goings-on at a cemetery and funeral parlor in a small town as seen by a mechanically-inclined teen boy who desperately tries to get his older brother to believe him. The film has a dreamy, surreal quality that makes some of the illogical things that happen a lot easier to swallow. There are some visually-striking scenes and a some bizarre twists that push the film into the sci-fi realm. I personally had a lot of fun, but you have to make the usual allowances for a first-time filmmaker (low-budget, amateur performances) and some choppy editing due to script rewrites. The film probably had an influence on the later Nightmare on Elm Street series (certainly the ending scene did, at least) and The Tall Man feels like a precursor to Slender Man, at least visually.

God Told Me To: What begins as a straight-faced 70s cop drama with supernatural overtones (placid, smiling people commit murder and then answer "God told me to" when asked why) that goes further into conspiracy and paranoia before changing genres altogether at the halfway point. What makes the movie work as well as it does is some strong acting from the lead characters and the refusal to wink or smile at the audience no matter how nuts things get near the end and there are some surprisingly emotional moments. Film is low-budget but technically solid (Larry Cohen wrote/directed a string of early blaxploitation movies prior to this and later went on to create the It's Alive series, among other things). The lead character's development and self-discovery reminds me a little of Bruce Willis' character from Unbreakable.

Society: Most of the movie is a cartoonish, blackly-comic take on The Stepford Wives/Invasion of the Body Snatchers in a 80s high-school movie setting. It's not bad, but what makes the film remarkable is the final 20 minutes of twisted, highly-inventive body-horror effects - it feels like a collaboration between David Cronenberg and pre-Lord of the Rings Peter Jackson. It's a 10/10 finale in what is maybe a 6/10 movie and it makes the whole thing worth watching at least once. Director Brian Yuzna had previously worked on Re-Animator, so he was already no stranger to goop.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » June 22nd, 2018, 2:23 pm

velcrozombie wrote:
pacman000 wrote:Saw "I Bury the Living" this weekend.

Society: Most of the movie is a cartoonish, blackly-comic take on The Stepford Wives/Invasion of the Body Snatchers in a 80s high-school movie setting. It's not bad, but what makes the film remarkable is the final 20 minutes of twisted, highly-inventive body-horror effects - it feels like a collaboration between David Cronenberg and pre-Lord of the Rings Peter Jackson. It's a 10/10 finale in what is maybe a 6/10 movie and it makes the whole thing worth watching at least once. Director Brian Yuzna
had previously worked on Re-Animator, so he was already no stranger to goop.

I haven't watched the entire movie, but I did see the finale on Youtube before.

Yeah it lives up to the hype. There are some things that you just can't unsee even if you'd like to....

Rev

Postby Rev » July 7th, 2018, 12:42 pm

Seen quite a few horror movies (& movies with some horror themes) lately.

Upgrade- This movie is a lot of genres but I think a case could definitely be made to mark this as horror. Basically a man gets in an accident and becomes fully paralyzed. His wife gets killed and he's out for revenge. However, since he cannot move he receives an offer to get an advanced computer chip put into his body that would give him the ability to walk again. Well he does and things get a lot more violent from there... Probably one of my favorite movies I've seen this year. This isn't just horror but sci-fi and action and it really kicks butt. Highly recommended.

Hereditary- Despite the super high rotten tomatoes score, I think a bunch of people were disappointed by this movie because it was marketed as something it wasn't. I think people went in expecting the Conjuring however this is a thinking mans horror movie. If you like to analyze the movie you just watched, read about it after, and talk with others about what you just watched, then you probably will love this movie. I really loved it but I'm a sucker for these types of movies.

The Endless- This is from the same duo that created the movie Spring, a horror/romance movie. I've been waiting to see this one for a while and since it just came out on Blu-Ray I bought it right away. One thing I have to say is the directors really create a very signatured type of horror movie. Nothing on the market is really like what they create and this was an excellent movie. Once again, this is another sci-fi/horror film and this time it is about previous cult members who escaped but have decided to re-visit their cult so they can move on. The brothers have had a very hard time adapting to life outside of the cult and the younger brother really needs this to move on. Once they revisit the cult things get weird as they realize the land that the cult has been on is very unique and belongs to a higher being. I don't know how else to explain this without giving too much away. Very solid movie.

A Quiet Place- Fun movie, probably my least favorite on the list. This is a straight up traditional horror/monster movie. The monsters hunt by sound (thus the title) and have wiped out most of humanity. The movie focuses on a family who lives completely in silence trying to live a normal life. The big problem is the wife is pregnant and as we all know babies aren't exactly quiet. Solid movie, enjoyed it a lot. There have been a lot of great horror films this year and I think this one is very watchable for those who only semi-like the genre.

Rev

Postby Rev » July 28th, 2018, 1:14 pm

Watched a couple of import horror films:

-Killing Ground- This one is entirely english (maybe from Australia). Solid horror film that takes place from a few perspectives, with the main couple, the hunters, and a family of victims. You aren't entirely sure on the timeline right from the start but as it moves forward you can tell that something horrible happened to the first family and then things clear up as the movie progresses. I think the three perspectives are the most unique thing about the film, as you usually don't see things from the perspective of the antagonists. The concept itself isn't original (people go camping and results in being hunted) but the way it is done is. Liked it but not exactly memorable.

-The Lure- Polish horror/fantasy musical about two sister mermaids who decide to basically "vacation" in the city. in this movie, mermaids have the ability to transform "mostly" human when they are out of water and these two sisters join a mother, husband, son as part of their musical group. Both sisters have very different opinions on the experiences that they are having with the family, with one of the sisters breaking the main rule of mermaids which is don't fall in love with a human (which ends badly for mermaids) while the other sister views people as food and has no attachments besides her sister. Anyway, this is a very unique horror film and one that managed to stick with me long after the credits ran. One of my favorite films of the year.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 15th, 2018, 6:30 pm

I'm really have the horror movie bug with Halloween approaching. Watched two Netflix original horror flicks with the wife the other night. Both very good and original, with great acting and special effects. You can tell Netflix spared no expense.

The Ritual - a bunch of guys go hiking in Sweden and it turns into a nightmare. Definitely influenced by Blair Witch but eventually charts its own course.

Before I Wake - a foster kid doesn't like to sleep because his dreams tend to come true... but so do his nightmares! Great atmosphere in this one, and gets a little emotional too.

I recently picked up the Friday the 13th collection on Blu Ray for $25 which was good for 8 movies. I was thinking about getting the Halloween collection, but that was $39. Then I looked it up again yesterday and it was $89. Is Amazon inflating its prices around Halloween?

I have two recommendations: The Witch (came out last year) and House of the Devil (recent movie made to look like an 80's movie).

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 15th, 2018, 11:44 pm

I highly recommend Dead Silence. It's my favorite scary movie. Last year's "IT" wasn't scary, but it was still entertaining.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 19th, 2018, 11:24 pm

Saw Hereditary the other night. Holy cow that was scary.
A lot of very disturbing images in that one that really stay with you.
The story really sucks you in because you don't know where it's going.
Had to sleep with the lights on!

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » September 23rd, 2018, 11:46 am

The Windmill on Netflix is actually decent. Got some good gore and it kept my attention, its definetly worth a watch

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 26th, 2018, 11:32 pm

Just watched Tales of Halloween (on Netflix) which is 10 little stories. There's a lot of fun Halloween imagery (and hotties galore) but I swear these feel like college projects to me. Very sophomoric in terms of story, dialog, and effects. I was thinking it would be a sequel to Trick R Treat but it's really not up to that level.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » September 27th, 2018, 9:51 am

Recent stuff that I've watched:

Bride of Chucky - Man, this a step in the wrong direction for the series. I remember it being somewhat watchable back when it came out, but it's really meh. Focusing entirely on Chucky and making it more of a comedy road trip movie really doesn't work. It's not scary, it's not particularly funny...frankly it's just boring. The practical effects work is still top notch, and Brad Dourif is still wonderful as Chucky, but I really wish the plot involving the human characters was something I could actually care about.

Poultrygeist - TROMA! These guys are the kings of gross out exploitation nonsense and this movie doesn't disappoint. The plot centers on two lovebirds who have recently broken up. It quickly moves into fast food satire as each person takes separate sides of a protest about a new chicken joint that was recently built on an ancient native american burial ground. The movie is totally insane as it switches between sappy teen romance, musical numbers, gross out gags, and disgusting gore. It's completely nuts and not for anyone that is easily offended. If you enjoy cult classics like The Toxic Avenger or Class of Nukem High then this movie is right up your alley. It scores extra points, because I don't think it contains a single digital special effect. It's all practical and super gross.

Return to “Other Media”