The Horror Movie Lovers Thread

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
CharlieR

Re: The Horror Movie Lovers Thread

Postby CharlieR » October 16th, 2017, 9:19 am

Great write-ups. Agree that the original Halloween is the pinnacle of horror films. Like one of the comments, I like that Season Of The Witch on there. Still an entertaining movie.

My pick for underrated horror movie is Jason Goes To Hell. Even though it isn't really a Friday the 13th movie and Jason is barely in it, it still has enough backstory to be entertaining.

I'm not really a horror fan, and I don't own any horror films, but I like watching them on tv once in a while, and try not to get too scared. By the way, doesn't it seem like it takes forever for AMC fearfest to start? I'm in the mood to watch some horror movies, and it doesn't start until the 23rd!

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » October 17th, 2017, 1:55 pm

CharlieR wrote:Great write-ups. Agree that the original Halloween is the pinnacle of horror films. Like one of the comments, I like that Season Of The Witch on there. Still an entertaining movie.

My pick for underrated horror movie is Jason Goes To Hell. Even though it isn't really a Friday the 13th movie and Jason is barely in it, it still has enough backstory to be entertaining.

I'm not really a horror fan, and I don't own any horror films, but I like watching them on tv once in a while, and try not to get too scared. By the way, doesn't it seem like it takes forever for AMC fearfest to start? I'm in the mood to watch some horror movies, and it doesn't start until the 23rd!

Thanks!

I actually totally agree with you about Jason Goes to Hell. It certainly gets quite a bit of hate from horror/Friday the 13th fans, but I think it's an incredibly fun movie. Just a silly, bloody, and entertaining flick. Love it!

I cut cable a few years ago so I don't have AMC any longer, but I do remember them waiting until the end of the month to drag out Fearfest. There was a time when the entire month was dedicated to horror movies.

Side note - does anyone subscribe to "Shudder" the horror streaming service? If so is it possible to stream it to the Playstation 4?

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » October 17th, 2017, 3:17 pm

Rev wrote:Kind of excited to see what critics have to say about "It" which comes out next Friday. I wasn't originally eager but early press has been very positive for the film. Seen some really great horror films lately:

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil- OMG, this is probably my new favorite horror comedy. Two hillbillies being attacked by college kids who think they're after them. Hilarious and gory.

IT was a solid movie, although I was more impressed by the ensemble of young artists and the chemistry they had together than the horror elements. I'm looking forward to see what they do with the sequel - the second half of the TV movie was considerably weaker, so I want to see who they cast and what they can do to improve it.

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil was a lot of fun. I personally wouldn't call it my favorite horror-comedy (not in a crowded field with Evil Dead 2, Dead Alive, Re-Animator, Bride of Frakenstein, etc.), but it has a pair of likable losers as lead characters and a sort of breezy, low-key charm that makes it unique. I would advise against watching the trailer beforehand, however - it gives away a number of the biggest laughs.

I recently watched Hobo with a Shotgun. While it's not technically a horror film, it's a gory throwback to both Troma films and the violent one-man revenge films of the 80s (the Death Wish sequels, the Exterminator films, etc.). The movie started as a fake trailer submitted in a contest for the Quentin Tarantino-Robert Rodriguez movie Grindhouse (a double feature of Planet Terror and Death Proof that had fake trailers and commercials before and in-between the two main features in an attempt to simulate a night at the movies). The trailer won the contest and was shown as part of Grindhouse in some theaters. Later, the filmmakers expanded the trailer into a full film starring Rutger Hauer. The idea of replicating the look and feel of low-budget exploitation movies has recently become something of a cliche, but Hobo with a Shotgun is well-paced, full of both memorable set-pieces and dark humor and has a surprisingly emotional turn from Hauer that helps to ground the more outrageous elements of the film. Both the original contest-winning trailer and the trailer for the full-length film can be found on Youtube and the film is available for streaming on Shudder.

Rev

Postby Rev » October 17th, 2017, 6:09 pm

velcrozombie wrote:IT was a solid movie, although I was more impressed by the ensemble of young artists and the chemistry they had together than the horror elements. I'm looking forward to see what they do with the sequel - the second half of the TV movie was considerably weaker, so I want to see who they cast and what they can do to improve it.

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil was a lot of fun. I personally wouldn't call it my favorite horror-comedy (not in a crowded field with Evil Dead 2, Dead Alive, Re-Animator, Bride of Frakenstein, etc.), but it has a pair of likable losers as lead characters and a sort of breezy, low-key charm that makes it unique. I would advise against watching the trailer beforehand, however - it gives away a number of the biggest laughs.

Loved IT. Thought they did an awesome job and I'm hoping that the sequel is just as good. I agree that the second half of the tv movie was pretty poor so I have my fingers crossed.

As for T&D Vs Evil, I actually liked it a lot more than the other movies you listed. To be fair, horror comedies are probably my least favorite sub-genre. I do agree though that it did end up giving away a few of the bigger laughs. Still, for what it was I really enjoyed it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 24th, 2017, 4:52 pm

Here's another good one for Halloween: The House of the Devil!

This movie looks 100% like a vintage 80s flick, yet it was made in 2009! Hard to believe! And it's scary too!
Apparently the director went to great lengths to make sure the film looked authentic.
Using the 80's motif much like Stranger Things.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » October 25th, 2017, 8:52 am

I caught the last hour or so of Rob zombie's Halloween 2 when I got home. I didn't find it as gruesome or frightening as his first movie, but it was still scary. A lot of people said the scenes with Dr. Loomis were a joke, and that it was dumb to have the ghosts.

Overall, I haven't seen a lot of positive reviews from critics or viewers. I'd say it was better than some of the later entries in the main Halloween series

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » November 13th, 2017, 11:39 am

The other night I watched What We Do in the Shadows - a deadpan, Spinal Tap-style mockumentary about four vampires who share a house in Wellington, New Zealand. Each vampire is different from the others - the eldest is essentially Nosferatu, one is a long-haired Vlad the Impaler type, another is a hedonistic slob who looks like he should be playing in Bauhaus and the fourth is a fussy dandy who worries about getting blood on the furniture when he feeds on his victims. They argue about chores - such as why the dishes haven't been done in 5 years - search for prey while trying (and failing) to be inconspicuous and get into squabbles with the local werewolves (a bunch of clean-cut joggers who constantly remind each other not to swear). If you like Spinal Tap or deadpan comedy in general and want to see it applied to horror tropes then this is a good watch - not a lot of big gags but plenty of funny character-driven moments. I ended up watching it because the writer/director just did a wonderful job on the new Thor film and I wanted to see what else he'd done.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » November 17th, 2017, 5:02 pm

velcrozombie wrote:The other night I watched What We Do in the Shadows - a deadpan, Spinal Tap-style mockumentary about four vampires who share a house in Wellington, New Zealand. Each vampire is different from the others - the eldest is essentially Nosferatu, one is a long-haired Vlad the Impaler type, another is a hedonistic slob who looks like he should be playing in Bauhaus and the fourth is a fussy dandy who worries about getting blood on the furniture when he feeds on his victims. They argue about chores - such as why the dishes haven't been done in 5 years - search for prey while trying (and failing) to be inconspicuous and get into squabbles with the local werewolves (a bunch of clean-cut joggers who constantly remind each other not to swear). If you like Spinal Tap or deadpan comedy in general and want to see it applied to horror tropes then this is a good watch - not a lot of big gags but plenty of funny character-driven moments. I ended up watching it because the writer/director just did a wonderful job on the new Thor film and I wanted to see what else he'd done.

My wife and I watched this last fall. We both really enjoyed it. It made me think of "Real World" with vampires.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » April 18th, 2018, 9:52 pm

Saw "I Bury the Living" this weekend.

A man who's elected chairman of a cemetery discovers people die when he marks their plots as occupied. Interesting, but with a dissapointing ending.

Well made. Some scenes are stagey, but that's normal for a 50's film, and they pull off some interesting camera & editing tricks later in the movie, as the protagonist's sanity seems to slip.

scotland

Postby scotland » April 18th, 2018, 10:05 pm

pacman000 wrote:Saw "I Bury the Living" this weekend.

A man who's elected chairman of a cemetery discovers people die when he marks their plots as occupied. Interesting, but with a dissapointing ending.

Well made. Some scenes are stagey, but that's normal for a 50's film, and they pull off some interesting camera & editing tricks later in the movie, as the protagonist's sanity seems to slip.

This stars Richard Boone, best known as Paladin in Have Gun, Will Travel.

I believe this fell into the public domain, as it was on those large collection of horror movies, along with Last Man on Earth.

Return to “Other Media”