What are you listening to right now?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
SigSauerLover

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Postby SigSauerLover » June 6th, 2015, 6:38 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbMuRCCZcEw

trust me, you don't want to see Dokken now, even if you liked them back in the day. This guy was obviously high off of something. It was absolutely dreadful, I was no more than a few feet from whoever is filming this. Out of all of the shows I saw at this festival, they were the absolute WORST.

Tron

Postby Tron » September 4th, 2015, 11:02 pm

Yes - Shoot High Aim Low

Herschie

Postby Herschie » September 7th, 2015, 12:39 am

"Buddy Holly" by Weezer, and "That's All" by Genesis. Yes, my wife is going crazy with me whistling and singing them all day.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » September 7th, 2015, 10:58 am

The stuff I've been listening most recently:

- Motorhead - Self-Titled
After listening to Marc Maron interview Lemmy on his podcast I decided I was going to go through Motorhead's discography in order so I can figure out how much I actually like their music vs. how much I like Lemmy and his image. Pretty sure I've only listened to three of their twenty-two studio albums before now (1916, Ace of Spades and Orgasmatron), so I have plenty of ground to cover.
- Yes - Fragile
- Jethro Tull - Aqualung
- Admiral Sir Cloudsley Shovell - Check Em Before You Wreck Em
- Lou Reed - Transformer
- Deftones - Koi no Yokan
- 1349 - Hellfire
- Kadavar - Abra Kadavar
- Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness and Heartwork
- Flaming Lips, The - The Soft Bulletin and Clouds Taste Metallic
- High on Fire - Luminiferous
- McLusky - McLusky Do Dallas
- Clutch - Pure Rock Fury, Self-Titled and Robot Hive/Exodus
- Cynic - Focus and Traced in Air
- Suffocation - Self-Titled
- Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted and Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
- Uzula - Tales of Blood and Fire
- Aphex Twin - I Care Because You Do
- Photek - Modus Operandi

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » September 18th, 2015, 3:02 pm

I bought the new Slayer album Repentless (terrible name, I know) on Sunday and have given it a few listens so far. I knew coming in that things weren't going to be the same, with the death of guitarist/songwriter Jeff Hanneman and the departure of original drummer Dave Lombardo (who reunited with the band back in 2006 after a previous separation of more than a decade). On top of that, the band has been around for more than 30 years at this point and isn't exactly in it's prime anymore, although the last two albums (Christ Illusion and World Painted Blood) were, if not a return to form, at least a return to respectability. Sometimes bands rise to the occasion after tragedy (Metallica's ..and Justice for All being a great example) and, while Kerry King is considered the weaker of the two songwriters in the band, I figured that it was possible that he could accumulate enough good material in the six years since the previous album (especially since Slayer albums rarely exceed forty minutes) and that he might be energized by the challenge.

It's a shame to report that Repentless is about as routine as Slayer gets, although it's various issues are endemic to the band at this point in it's career. For instance, Tom Araya has never been the most versatile or melodic vocalist in the metal world, but decades of wear and tear from touring have stripped him of whatever range or subtleties that his delivery once had; the result is a performance consisting mainly of raw yelling and a sort of creepy speak-singing. While these styles are effective for a few songs at a time, they become tiring over the course of entire album. On the other hand, it would be a lot easier to take Araya's vocals in the first place if he were given more interesting lyrics. Slayer's lyrics have admittedly been in decline for a while now - nothing that they've recorded in over a decade has matched the power of "Angel of Death" or "Dead Skin Mask", or even the underrated "Divine Intervention" (from the 1994 album of the same name) - but the previous album was relatively competent. Unfortunately, Kerry King continues in the same stream-of-consciousness vein that he has been using since the mid-Nineties, and without Jeff's more deliberate approach to balance it out the writing it becomes even clearer how juvenile King's words are.

The persistent issues with Slayer's vocals and lyrics meant that the music was going to have to be exceptional in order to salvage the album, and the trouble is while the performances are high-quality, the music itself is only passable. Returning drummer Paul Bostaph (who played with the band previously, along with stints in Testament and Exodus) doesn't have the flair or creativity that Dave Lombardo had, but he's the technically superior drummer. Exodus guitarist Gary Holt adds a new dimension to the band, with his more structured, conventional solos adding a needed counterpoint to the squealing, chaotic free-for-alls that are King's trademark. If only the material were more memorable! The title track, "Implode" and "When the Stillness Comes" are solid tracks (even if the latter feels like it's building up to something that it never quite delivers), but many of the other tracks have great moments (the stop-start break in the middle of "Take Control", the chugging intro to "Piano Wire") that get lost in repetition or jettisoned for something less remarkable. The result is an album that's worth hearing for devotees, but one that won't convert anyone who's not already on board. There is hope on the horizon: if Holt takes a bigger role in band and collaborates on writing the next record with King, their chemistry may result in another semi return-to-form. If you haven't taken the plunge on Slayer yet, it's hard to go wrong with anything from the Reign in Blood - South of Heaven - Seasons in the Abyss trilogy.

Tron

Postby Tron » September 18th, 2015, 11:05 pm

Velcrozombie

Listening to Yes Fragile. Groovy tunes man. Sounds a little like Moody Blues, but a bit more 70's-ish.

Jethro Tull Aqualung is good stuff too. I can dig that. I also like Lou Reed Perfect Day from the movie Trainspotting. Gonna have to listen to Transformer.

SigSauerLover

Postby SigSauerLover » September 22nd, 2015, 1:13 pm

I've been listening to the first L.A Guns album lately. It's seriously badass.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » September 24th, 2015, 9:33 am

Tron wrote:Velcrozombie

Listening to Yes Fragile. Groovy tunes man. Sounds a little like Moody Blues, but a bit more 70's-ish.

Jethro Tull Aqualung is good stuff too. I can dig that. I also like Lou Reed Perfect Day from the movie Trainspotting. Gonna have to listen to Transformer.

A friend at work brought in the Yes and Jethro Tull albums to borrow. I've listened to a fair amount of progressive metal but I wanted to start listening to the older prog-rock bands more. I though Yes was amazing, but I was a little more mixed about Jethro Tull - great music, but the lyrics got a little pretentious for me. I really need to check out the Moody Blues, Genesis and more King Crimson; if you have any recommendations along these lines I'd like to hear them.

As for Lou Reed, Transformer is a great album all the way through. Along with "Perfect Day", it has "Take a Walk on the Wild Side". I'm a pretty big Velvet Underground fan, but the only Lou Reed album I've heard other than Transformer is Metal Machine Music, which I listened to more for it's reputation as one of the most inaccessible albums ever released on a major label. I thought it was fun for a while, but the noise never lets up and my ears got tired after about 25 minutes or so.

stealthrush

Postby stealthrush » October 25th, 2015, 3:13 am

"Drones" by Muse
"Vitium" by Sukekiyo
"Heathen" by David Bowie
"Juggernaut: Omega" by Periphery
"Bad Choices Made Easy" by The Left Rights
"Cruel Melody" by Black Light Burns
"DreamCypher" by The Crüxshadows

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » December 30th, 2015, 6:25 pm

I've been listening to a lot of emo lately. No, not the whiny mallcore crap that has been calling itself emo for the past decade. I'm talking about GOOD bands like Sunny Day Real Estate, Mineral, Rites Of Spring, The Appleseed Cast, Jimmy Eat World, The Get Up Kids, Jawbreaker, Saetia (fair warning, these guys play the screamo style of emo), etc.

Return to “Other Media”