Strange opinion: I think Smartphones are a bad invention.

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
zetax

Re: Strange opinion: I think Smartphones are a bad invention.

Postby zetax » July 20th, 2015, 9:31 am

LoganRuckman wrote:I just have to say, insulting someone over their age when that's something they had absolutely no control over, is very immature and makes you look like a grumpy old man.

Well, I am a grumpy old man, so...thanks?

LoganRuckman wrote:This is why I can't stand most so called "'90s kids." No, not people who grew up in the '90s. I'm talking about the people that act like elitist jerks, and make a point of talking about how great their generation was and how it had no flaws whatsoever, and then doing nothing but insulting the younger generations, acting like they're a special little snowflake simply because of the year they were born in, again, having no control over that. Congratulations, you're older than me. Do you want a medal? Acting like there were no spoiled or lazy kids, or really, no problems whatsoever before January 1st, 2000, which is of course the exact moment everything started to suck. Grow up, seriously.

Not sure where this rant came from... I don't recall any mention of being "better" than anyone else, nor did I point to a time when things started to suck. Remember, I'm a grumpy old man, things have always sucked!

Vexer6 wrote:Thank you, I don't get the "younger equals dumber" mentality that so many people seem to have, i've seen plenty of people in their 30s and 40s act unbelievably immature for their age.

I never said you, or anyone else was dumb. But youth lacks experience and perspective.

Sorry if I pissed you guys off.

scotland

Postby scotland » July 20th, 2015, 11:07 am

zetax wrote: Sorry if I pissed you guys off.

No no no. We are going to take away your membership card in the Grump Club if you keep doing that.

An observation stemming from that Rob Zombie quote about how growing up in the 60s, 70s and into the 80s was (unintentionally) immersion into earlier generations. Early tv needed content, and found it in older tv and old movies. Kids then watched cartoons or comedy shorts from the 40s, a tv show of the 50s, a movie from the 60s, then a miniseries in the 70s all in the same day. John Wayne or Godzilla were as familiar as Archie Bunker or Lucy Ricardo.

Today there is so much content, including free user made content, that old stuff is left behind. Seinfeld ain't funny no more kind of thing. I notice places like TV tropes has a huge recency bias where current shows are painstakingly dissected episode by episode but older shows are hardly mentioned or not mentioned at all.

To people who grew up watching Bugs Bunny and then Jonny Quest and then Superfriends on Saturday Morning tv, we learned to know and appreciate the past while also not thinking of it as has been stuff for the previous generation.

If a young person seems too confident without due regard for the last few decades, then it might be appropriate to remind them of life before cell phones or video games or whatever. When I have talked to people in their 80s or 90s over the years, such as people who grew up in the 30s, their experiences are eye opening.

Tina

Postby Tina » July 20th, 2015, 11:49 am

It's a toss up between baby boomers and millenials as to who has been more coddled. Sorry but age matters and whatever generation you fall under does shape attitudes to some extent.

Rev

Postby Rev » July 20th, 2015, 12:24 pm

I really think that stating someone as a junior/young to express that someone is immature is the wrong way to go about things. People who are immature fit in to every generation. I think zetax's actual source of frustration has more to do with your (Vexer's) lack of understanding on when people want an opinion vs. when people don't. It can be very frustrating when you immediately dismiss everyone's opinion or you go through and try to rebut everything, especially when no one wants it in the first place. I believe you genuinely want to strike conversations but the way that it is handled comes across as "immature" because you lack developed social skills. You also lack an ability to adapt to advice/opinions of other people and dismiss everything as an attack on yourself. The odd/funny thing about it is you often direct this negativity towards yourself because of how you respond to people's posts. This is nothing new as countless poster's have made comments to you in the few years that I've been on the site. You always state that, that is a the other person's problem. I have never once heard you reply that perhaps you might have been in the wrong. You never learn from what other people comment about your posts and I know that a lot of the posters on the site try to ignore you to the best of their ability because they've made the same observations I have. Reading your posts you have a lot of really good things to say but it's how you handle those comments that makes the difference.

Vexer and Logan are right that age has nothing to do with it, although younger people are more likely to come across this way due to less life experience, each person is different thus shouldn't be held to a stereotype. If you want people to stop viewing you as immature you need to start developing your own social skills. Learn to stop giving advice or correcting people at every turn, especially when they don't want it. Also, stop acting shocked that people respond negatively towards your posts because a lot of the time you create their criticism.

Age has nothing to do with it.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 20th, 2015, 12:51 pm

Scotland- I like plenty of tv shows and movies from the 80s, and I think that was by far the best decade for music, I really like a lot of 80s rock bands. Most modern bands don't really appeal to me all that much.

So you visit TvTropes too eh? I do like that site, but i'm not surprised that newer stuff is more prominent on there(one reason why older stuff isn't as detailed is because a lot of older shows still don't have DVD releases and aren't available to stream or download anywhere)

I did watch the newer version of Johnny Quest on Cartoon Network back in the day, it was pretty good, though not as good as SWAT Kats.

Believe me, my parents have reminded me of life before cellphones and internet plenty of times, they certainly have interesting stories to tell.

I live in a fairly remote rural area, so i've never come across anyone randomly trying to film me.

Also i'm not giving advice or correcting anyone, i'm merely stating my own views on other people's posts, don't really see anything wrong with that(and for the record, I have admitted to being wrong on here before) and I fail to see how i've created criticism in any way, so yeah it is surprising to see people take offense to me merely disagreeing with other people's views.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » July 20th, 2015, 2:29 pm

It's hard with internet forums to tell when people are just stating an opinion or being rude. It's sometimes difficult to tell what the intent of a post is because people can read or misread a sentence's implied tone. Obviously there is no voice inflection or face to read...so without resorting to emoticons and whatnot it can sometimes be difficult to judge. :mrgreen:

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 20th, 2015, 2:58 pm

Indeed, I apologize if I came off as rude, I assure you that was not my intention.

SigSauerLover

Postby SigSauerLover » July 20th, 2015, 3:19 pm

This has become less of a smartphone conversation and more of a "Differences between generations" conversation. Not that I mind.

And Vexer, I know that you are not trying to be rude. I understand 100%. Reading your posts, seeing your patterns of speech, it all makes sense. Don't worry about it buddy. :) I understand, that's all I'll say, though I do believe you know what I'm talking about. My son is like that.

jon

Postby jon » July 20th, 2015, 3:42 pm

I have two views on kids growing up now versus the old days before all this technology. One is that, contrary to LoganRuckman, I feel like things were a lot better for people growing up in the 80s and 90s. There were actually a lot of companies and a lot of stores with huge sections of games, and multiple interesting magazines. And the games weren't so freaking overly complex with all the crappy annoyances. The arcades were still around and extremely fun. I think music also was a heck of a lot better up until the mid 90's. Way better than the crap on the radio today, every genre. There was a lot of creativity in all facets of entertainment that sadly lacks today. But the flip side is, I think kids today are a lot more interesting than when I was growing up. Because they've been exposed to everything at such an early age, with access to anything they can possibly want via the internet, social media, etc., I think they're way smarter and just very easy to talk to. I don't like interacting much with people that grew up when I did. So while things were really awesome in the 90's (not the late 90's that's when things started to suck), you still had to be a cool guy/gal. There were so many morons in school back then, I don't think it's like that today. Even people that are a little younger than me like in their mid-late 20s I still find dreadfully boring. This new generation is where it's at.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 20th, 2015, 4:35 pm

Strange, i've heard the opposite complaint from some people that games nowadays are getting too overly simplistic and dumbed down.

I personally love modern games for the most part, for me games that are too overly complex would be a lot of PC exclusive stuff like the Total War series, that sort of thing is way beyond my area of understanding.

Glad we agree about kids today being smarter though.

I agree with you on music, while there are some modern bands I like such as Disturbed, Halestorm, Nickelback, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Saliva, Avenged Sevenfold and Hinder(I also like female pop artists like Katy Perry, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Selena Gomez, Ariana Grande, etc). I think 80s music is so much better then a lot of popular stuff nowadays(I.E. One Direction, Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, Snow Patrol, Yellowcard, Matchbox 20), as much as people love to make fun of hair metal, at least I can tell those bands apart, half of the bands in the top 40 today sound ridiculously alike.

Return to “Other Media”