Strange opinion: I think Smartphones are a bad invention.

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Tron
Posts: 474
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 8:02 pm

Re: Strange opinion: I think Smartphones are a bad invention.

Postby Tron » July 17th, 2015, 7:32 pm

I guess I'll scratch SigSauerLover off my possible friends list. Shucks!

Nice analogy about the gen X'ers.

Vexer6
Posts: 295
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 12:14 am

Re: Strange opinion: I think Smartphones are a bad invention.

Postby Vexer6 » July 17th, 2015, 9:39 pm

Zetax- Rebutting someone's post is not being rude at all, and 16 years ago isn't exactly recent, and by dismissing me as a child, you're sounding rather rude yourself, also we're not talking about me right now, so why don't you try and stay on topic instead of derailing the thread eh?

I don't see how talking on a phone in the bathroom is pathetic at all, I really don't see the issue there, if it's in a movie theater where people are actually trying to enjoy themselves I can understand.

I don't believe manners have gone by the wayside, i'm old enough to remember a time before cellphones became big, and I don't think people have gotten more rude since then, I think it seems that way because of how big the internet is now.

User avatar
zetax
Posts: 83
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 8:37 pm

Re: Strange opinion: I think Smartphones are a bad invention.

Postby zetax » July 17th, 2015, 10:59 pm

Vexer6 wrote:Zetax- Rebutting someone's post is not being rude at all, and 16 years ago isn't exactly recent, and by dismissing me as a child, you're sounding rather rude yourself, also we're not talking about me right now, so why don't you try and stay on topic instead of derailing the thread eh?

I don't see how talking on a phone in the bathroom is pathetic at all, I really don't see the issue there, if it's in a movie theater where people are actually trying to enjoy themselves I can understand.

I don't believe manners have gone by the wayside, i'm old enough to remember a time before cellphones became big, and I don't think people have gotten more rude since then, I think it seems that way because of how big the internet is now.


I strongly disagree. You do come across as rude. 16 years isn't that long ago. And talking on the phone in the bathroom IS pathetic. If you could remember a world when people didn't think it was okay when people felt the need to talk on the toilet... Well, good luck with that, junior.

User avatar
scotland
Posts: 1935
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 7:33 pm

Re: Strange opinion: I think Smartphones are a bad invention.

Postby scotland » July 17th, 2015, 11:20 pm

Vexer6 wrote: I don't believe manners have gone by the wayside,


Manners are all about how others see your behavior.

This is one time when your own self assessment is not enough. If someone diapproves of something you are doing, you have bad manners in that situation. Its not about if that same action by someone else bothers you, its all about if what you do and if others are bothered by it. Manners help set rules for social interaction.

Manners is about being socially considerate in whatever social circle you are in at that moment. Its one time when there really is no defense if someone tells you that your behavior was ill mannered.

Either be more considerate, avoid that social circle, or just own up to being inconsiderate and deal with the social ostracism. Its why really brilliant or wealthy or talented people can be rude - they are too valuable to be ostracized - until the next diva comes along.

Vexer6
Posts: 295
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 12:14 am

Re: Strange opinion: I think Smartphones are a bad invention.

Postby Vexer6 » July 18th, 2015, 12:07 am

zetax- I fail to see how that's pathetic at all and it seems like you're the one being rude here by calling me "junior"(though i'm guessing you're probably barely older then I am)

SigSauerLover
Posts: 167
Joined: April 8th, 2015, 5:51 pm

Re: Strange opinion: I think Smartphones are a bad invention.

Postby SigSauerLover » July 19th, 2015, 2:20 pm

Come on guys, play nice. You all make great replies, and I'd like for the conversation to continue without arguments. When it comes to age, I'd say most people 25 can barely remember when people weren't buried into SOME sort of cellular device. In my over 4 decades of life,I lived about 20-25 of those years without mainsteam adoption of cell phones. Let me just say, I never had a problem with people carrying around a nokia, or a flip phone. It seems people weren't quite as addicted to their phones.

Also, another reason I hate smartphones, no one minds their frickin' business anymore! Do something even remotely out of the usual and people will film you. Sure, that would be "their right" (here in the states at least) but I'll tell you what, it's ticked me off many times. After being given hell by one enraged driver who got mad because I had passed him, he came up to my car and started kicking dents. We eventually resolved it, and after he cooled off we exchanged information. But the whole time some stupid kids were filming it. And I'm thinking to myself, is their lives really so boring they have to film someone elses lives for entertainment?

And one instance really ticked me off. there was a lady, probably in her 20's, filming me when I was getting a few of my firearms out of my car. She was really making me mad. She was like "This man is taking ASSAULT rifles out of his car when my kids are right here playing outside" loud enough for me to hear. I didn't even take any assault rifles out of my car! I only had an AR-15, a Saiga 12 gauge, an M1 Garand, and my Browning HP. But she was going off on her phone spewing terms like "Gun nut" "Redneck" "Crazy man". And the whole time she was video recording me. She even said I had a machine gun! What? I only have one machine gun, and that's registered with the NFA! But no, she just wanted attention. So what, her kids were right there, why does it matter to her? I was just taking them inside after a range trip.

Being filmed whenever something happens that's my business, and not theirs, really irritates me.

Vexer6
Posts: 295
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 12:14 am

Re: Strange opinion: I think Smartphones are a bad invention.

Postby Vexer6 » July 19th, 2015, 6:39 pm

Cellphones didn't really become widespread where I lived until the early 2000s, my parents still have one of those old brick-like cellphones.

You don't need a smartphone to film someone without consent, before smartphones came along, people were using portable digital cameras to film people without consent all the time.

Though I do get you're point, smartphones do come in handy for filming certain things(like say filming a police officer beating the hell out of someone for no reason), I wouldn't call kids "stupid" just for filming things though. That's not very common where I live, people have smartphones sure, but I can't say i'm ever come across situations like yours.

I say blame the person, don't blame the technology itself, if those people harassing you didn't have smartphones, they'd likely be using a digital camera instead.

LoganRuckman
Posts: 194
Joined: April 10th, 2015, 1:04 am

Re: Strange opinion: I think Smartphones are a bad invention.

Postby LoganRuckman » July 19th, 2015, 10:45 pm

I just have to say, insulting someone over their age when that's something they had absolutely no control over, is very immature and makes you look like a grumpy old man. This is why I can't stand most so called "'90s kids." No, not people who grew up in the '90s. I'm talking about the people that act like elitist jerks, and make a point of talking about how great their generation was and how it had no flaws whatsoever, and then doing nothing but insulting the younger generations, acting like they're a special little snowflake simply because of the year they were born in, again, having no control over that. Congratulations, you're older than me. Do you want a medal? Acting like there were no spoiled or lazy kids, or really, no problems whatsoever before January 1st, 2000, which is of course the exact moment everything started to suck. Grow up, seriously.

Vexer6
Posts: 295
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 12:14 am

Re: Strange opinion: I think Smartphones are a bad invention.

Postby Vexer6 » July 20th, 2015, 12:46 am

LoganRuckman wrote:I just have to say, insulting someone over their age when that's something they had absolutely no control over, is very immature and makes you look like a grumpy old man. This is why I can't stand most so called "'90s kids." No, not people who grew up in the '90s. I'm talking about the people that act like elitist jerks, and make a point of talking about how great their generation was and how it had no flaws whatsoever, and then doing nothing but insulting the younger generations, acting like they're a special little snowflake simply because of the year they were born in, again, having no control over that. Congratulations, you're older than me. Do you want a medal? Acting like there were no spoiled or lazy kids, or really, no problems whatsoever before January 1st, 2000, which is of course the exact moment everything started to suck. Grow up, seriously.

Thank you, I don't get the "younger equals dumber" mentality that so many people seem to have, i've seen plenty of people in their 30s and 40s act unbelievably immature for their age.

User avatar
scotland
Posts: 1935
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 7:33 pm

Re: Strange opinion: I think Smartphones are a bad invention.

Postby scotland » July 20th, 2015, 8:44 am

SigSauerLover wrote: Do something even remotely out of the usual and people will film you...one instance really ticked me off. there was a lady, probably in her 20's, filming me when I was getting a few of my firearms out of my car. Being filmed whenever something happens that's my business, and not theirs, really irritates me.


I hear ya. The other week some nosy neighbor was filming me just cause I was doing some yard work. I mean, so it was 2am in the moonlight...its cooler at night. I see her light go on in the window and I can see her plain as day with her phone in front of her face. If my clothes had been clean I would put down my shovel and given her a piece of my mind. Can't a guy dig a few feet down in his own backyard to check for gophers if he wants? I filled it in. I think she even filmed my house the next morning when I was cleaning the fireplace flue. No reason to wait for cold weather for that I say.


Return to “Other Media”