I really hate Windows updates

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
User avatar
Rev
Posts: 1301
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 7:31 pm

I really hate Windows updates

Postby Rev » August 16th, 2015, 12:59 pm

So I've had issues with Windows before but man I really hate forced updates on Windows computers. I used to be able to delay updating until I felt ready to actually restart the computer but nowadays Windows will force a restart even if you're not ready. I know that it'll warn you a day in advance but if you forget it doesn't even have the decency to let you finish with your current session. After 15 minutes it will restart no matter what you're doing. It could at least wait for me to be done....

Arg!!!!

User avatar
ptdebate
Posts: 626
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 8:39 pm

Re: I really hate Windows updates

Postby ptdebate » August 16th, 2015, 1:37 pm

Which Windows are you using? I highly recommend upgrading to 10 if you have 7 or 8. Updating is still a pain but at least it doesn't pull this crap on you.

Windows has always been an OS I reluctantly put up with due to its gaming capabilities. If I could play all my games on OSX I'd never touch Windows again.

User avatar
Rev
Posts: 1301
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 7:31 pm

Re: I really hate Windows updates

Postby Rev » August 16th, 2015, 2:40 pm

Windows 10 doesn't do that? Man... I have windows 8.1... I might consider buying it. I do not believe Windows 7 pulled these shenanigans on me but it has definitely become an annoyance with Windows 8.

User avatar
Gentlegamer
Posts: 279
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 1:01 am

Re: I really hate Windows updates

Postby Gentlegamer » August 16th, 2015, 3:05 pm

Always disable Windows Updates. You may manually check for updates and choose which to install.

ptdebate wrote:Which Windows are you using? I highly recommend upgrading to 10 if you have 7 or 8. Updating is still a pain but at least it doesn't pull this crap on you.


Are you kidding? Windows 10 is a botnet, do not under any circumstance upgrade to it or use it.

User avatar
Shapur
Posts: 192
Joined: July 31st, 2015, 8:10 pm

Re: I really hate Windows updates

Postby Shapur » August 16th, 2015, 3:30 pm

I do not recommend Windows 10. Just way to many privacy concerns with Microsoft now wanting to collect all kinds of personal data(just like Google already does :x ) , but also Windows 10 is the first Windows where you can not refuse updates.

In windows 8 you can actually set it to only download and install updates when you want. Also you can review which updates you actually want to install.

Control Panel -> Windows Update -> Choose Your Windows Update Setting

You can set it to never even check for updates if you want. Of course turning them off will expose you to more security risks.

User avatar
ptdebate
Posts: 626
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 8:39 pm

Re: I really hate Windows updates

Postby ptdebate » August 16th, 2015, 4:17 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:Are you kidding? Windows 10 is a botnet, do not under any circumstance upgrade to it or use it.


No.

This has been way overblown. Gathering usage statistics to improve the system's AI and usability is something that Apple has been doing with Siri for years. Microsoft just woke up to the idea that focusing on the user experience might be a good idea.

Seen any embedded ads on your desktop or "suggested search options" in your toolbar? No, you haven't. That's because unlike Google, Microsoft is gathering user statistics solely for improvement of the OS's human interface, Cortana--a complex AI that responds to and learns from its users behaviors. I challenge you to prove me wrong.

User avatar
Gentlegamer
Posts: 279
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 1:01 am

Re: I really hate Windows updates

Postby Gentlegamer » August 16th, 2015, 6:42 pm

ptdebate wrote:
Gentlegamer wrote:Are you kidding? Windows 10 is a botnet, do not under any circumstance upgrade to it or use it.


No.

This has been way overblown. Gathering usage statistics to improve the system's AI and usability is something that Apple has been doing with Siri for years. Microsoft just woke up to the idea that focusing on the user experience might be a good idea.

Seen any embedded ads on your desktop or "suggested search options" in your toolbar? No, you haven't. That's because unlike Google, Microsoft is gathering user statistics solely for improvement of the OS's human interface, Cortana--a complex AI that responds to and learns from its users behaviors. I challenge you to prove me wrong.


User behavior like your keystrokes? Enjoy your spyware botnet.

Image

User avatar
Hardcore Sadism
Posts: 246
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 7:10 pm

Re: I really hate Windows updates

Postby Hardcore Sadism » August 16th, 2015, 9:15 pm

Looks like some of us should stop using the internet, then!

User avatar
Shapur
Posts: 192
Joined: July 31st, 2015, 8:10 pm

Re: I really hate Windows updates

Postby Shapur » August 16th, 2015, 10:28 pm

I just read an article that Cortana will apparently still send info to Microsoft even when disabled.
http://thehackernews.com/2015/08/windows-10-privacy-spying.html
I just can't see any compelling reason to upgrade with features like that, and especially couldn't recommend it to the original poster when he specifically complained about automatic updates and Windows 10 is worse about forcing updates than 7 or 8. Also remember that according to Microsoft they can share any information with "trusted partners" that means whoever they want, including, in the future, advertisers.

Hardcore Sadism wrote:Looks like some of us should stop using the internet, then!


Well yeah if you are ok with facebook, Siri or anything Google makes Windows 10 is just more of the same crap. I'm opting out of all of them including Windows 10. Sticking with 8 for the laptop and next desktop will be Linux Mint. I'm tired of people getting rich selling information about me.

User avatar
Rev
Posts: 1301
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 7:31 pm

Re: I really hate Windows updates

Postby Rev » August 17th, 2015, 12:39 am

Shapur wrote:Control Panel -> Windows Update -> Choose Your Windows Update Setting


Thank God. I just changed it.


Return to “Other Media”