I really hate Windows updates

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
ptdebate

Re: I really hate Windows updates

Postby ptdebate » October 31st, 2015, 1:32 pm

So--

An update on my experience with Windows 10.

In short? It sucked. In the long run, automatic updates from Microsoft led to constant driver mismatches with Nvidia. This created all kinds of issues when trying to run games, such as microstuttering and unusually low framerates.

Rather than wait for Microsoft to fix the issues with further updates, I decided to roll back to Windows 7. Despite how much of a headache as it is to get installed, it's still the best Windows operating system to use on a day-to-day basis, especially if graphics performance is important to you. Maybe Windows 10 will be the same way...6 years from now :P.

Rev

Postby Rev » October 31st, 2015, 2:15 pm

Yeah I've heard some horror stories with 10 so instead of doing an automatic Windows 10 update I've been sticking with 8.1 (not a fan but at least most of the programs work and the bugs have been fixed at this point).

SigSauerLover

Postby SigSauerLover » October 31st, 2015, 6:11 pm

That's why you use LINUX.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » October 31st, 2015, 8:01 pm

The first thing you should do with any Windows set up is disable auto updates. Take some responsibility as admin and review and research proposed updates before allowing.

And don't update to Windows 10 under any circumstance, or allow the "telemetry updates" to earlier Windows that enables the MS botnet on your machine.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » November 1st, 2015, 1:31 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:The first thing you should do with any Windows set up is disable auto updates. Take some responsibility as admin and review and research proposed updates before allowing.

And don't update to Windows 10 under any circumstance, or allow the "telemetry updates" to earlier Windows that enables the MS botnet on your machine.

As a user, though, I shouldn't have to deal with any of that s***. That's why Windows is and always has been so terrible--it places the burden of fixing everything on the user. When I pay to use an operating system, I expect it to work properly on its own. If it doesn't work properly, I expect someone the manufacturer to fix it for me, and quickly. I am good at these things so it's not a day-to-day issue for me, but it's not my responsibility to inhabit the role of fixer for a product I payed good money for.

SigSauerLover

Postby SigSauerLover » November 1st, 2015, 2:31 pm

ptdebate wrote:
Gentlegamer wrote:The first thing you should do with any Windows set up is disable auto updates. Take some responsibility as admin and review and research proposed updates before allowing.

As a user, though, I shouldn't have to deal with any of that s***. That's why Windows is and always has been so terrible--it places the burden of fixing everything on the user. When I pay to use an operating system, I expect it to work properly on its own. If it doesn't work properly, I expect someone the manufacturer to fix it for me, and quickly. I am good at these things so it's not a day-to-day issue for me, but it's not my responsibility to inhabit the role of fixer for a product I payed good money for.

That's why I favor OSX and Linux.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » November 1st, 2015, 2:46 pm

ptdebate wrote:

Hey, I agree, you should be able to trust OS updates from the developer. But with Microsoft, you can't and shouldn't.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » November 1st, 2015, 3:46 pm

SigSauerLover wrote:
ptdebate wrote:

That's why I favor OSX and Linux.

Amen. Linux because it's free and open-source (as Windows should be, judging by how it operates), and OSX because it just. flipping. works.

Unfortunately I'm chained to Windows for my game library :P.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » November 5th, 2015, 5:41 am

I have had updates turned off since my system automatically updated to 8.1 one night without me even knowing. Then, out of the blue, they just turned on one day and automatically updated itself again. Besides that windows 10 popup that I had to figure out how to remove, whatever else that updated has pretty much killed my laptop. Its so slow now that I want to smash it when trying to do more than 1 thing at at time.

scotland

Postby scotland » May 22nd, 2016, 12:32 pm

With the free update to Windows 10 coming to a close, I decided to update one of my computers from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

I had a few issues, but the one that was concerning was a few of my folders under Documents disappeared without warning. A search for document names found them in "C:/Windows.old" folder. If you navigate there, Windows will not show you the folders however, you have to type in the file path from the search directly. I was able to recover them, but I do not know why several folders under Documents did not migrate.

Moral of that story is have a portable hard drive and back up your documents before migration.

As for other concerns, the default settings are not set to protect privacy at all. The update even disabled my Norton firewall, asking me if I would rather use Microsofts firewall. There is a good deal of Cortana nagging. Xbox stuff is right there in the start panel, as well as Candy Crush and some other stuff I can probably tailor over time. The OS itself seems very easy to move to after using Windows 7 so far.

Return to “Other Media”