Star Wars VII Theory: Luke Skywalker is the villain

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
ptdebate

Star Wars VII Theory: Luke Skywalker is the villain

Postby ptdebate » October 20th, 2015, 8:53 pm

Hi guys,

I'm assuming anyone reading this has already seen the fantastic new trailer for Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens. My coworkers and I have devised a theory that Luke Skywalker is a Sith lord and the antagonist of the film. My reasons?

1. Luke Skywalker has not appeared in any official promotional footage (with the exception of that debated appearance facing away from the camera in the first teaser, wearing a black cloak of all things, touching R2D2 with his robotic hand), despite confirmation that he will be featured in the film. Everything seems set up for some kind of big reveal surrounding his character. JJ Abrams does love a good plot twist.

2. He also hasn't been represented in any of the Lego Star Wars sets.

3. When Palpatine and Vader die in Episode VI, there is no successor appointed. Although Luke doesn't directly kill either, he is responsible for the deaths of both. He also made the decision to fight and kill Vader despite being warned that this action would lead him to the dark side. In a scene similar to Episode III's Anakin/Count Dooku fight, Luke is seen unleashing his anger here.

4. It would fit with Luke's character. He is envious, capricious, and yearns for glory. It was a combination of these personality traits with the pain of losing Owen and Beru that pushed him to leave Tatooine and become a Jedi "like his father."

5. He is a Skywalker. Episode I reveals that Anakin has a higher medichlorean count than any other human being in recorded history. We also learn that he was anomalously conceived by the Force, Jesus-style, imbuing him with superhuman intuition and intelligence. Anakin's ruthless intelligence and ambition (try to imagine the character played by someone other than Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen) is a bad match for the Jedi, especially as they existed in the prequels--a staid, conservative circle of dusty old men. Luke's personality is very similar. He is headstrong, independent, and even vengeful.

My coworker took this even further to hypothesize that Kylo Ren is Luke's son and that Rey is Leia and Han's daughter. At the end of the film, it is postulated that Rey becomes Luke's new apprentice.

I've always imagined how the films would play out if Luke had joined the dark side in Empire or even in Jedi. What do you guys think?

Rev

Re: Star Wars VII Theory: Luke Skywalker is the villain

Postby Rev » October 20th, 2015, 9:06 pm

When I saw the trailer today I immediately thought the same thing. The scene with Darth Vader's mask made me think the villain was Luke. I think this series will be better than episodes 1 thru 3... God I hope so. This series needs the star trek treatment.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 20th, 2015, 9:50 pm

As soon as you said medichlorean, you lost all credibility. ;)

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » October 20th, 2015, 11:25 pm

I've read a supposed leak of the story: the bad guy isn't Luke.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » October 21st, 2015, 2:16 am

Rookie1 wrote:As soon as you said medichlorean, you lost all credibility. ;)

If it's in the movies, it's canon! And even though the prequels are mostly unlikable, they are written and directed by Lucas. You can't get more authentic than that.

What's your source, Gentlegamer?

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » October 21st, 2015, 1:33 pm

Hey! No spoilers please!

Very interesting ideas on Luke.

I like the conjecture but I saw a picture of Luke for a People magazine or something similar my wife picked up for me. He's got a long beard and really makes me think he's Obi Won with a similar look.

I think Luke has become the Obi Won like hermit and come full circle with his teacher.

But Luke as the bad guy...interesting!

Rev

Postby Rev » October 21st, 2015, 3:04 pm

I read a pretty interesting article going over the different Luke Skywalker theories:

http://www.looper.com/4030/theories-beh ... ars-7-far/

One of them has to be right, lol.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 21st, 2015, 6:10 pm

ptdebate wrote:
If it's in the movies, it's canon! And even though the prequels are mostly unlikable, they are written and directed by Lucas. You can't get more authentic than that.

I+think+you+missed+the+joke+_21866cc21cb27dbd8ad1e78e7a98cff6.jpg
I+think+you+missed+the+joke+_21866cc21cb27dbd8ad1e78e7a98cff6.jpg (11.18 KiB) Viewed 3431 times

Tron

Postby Tron » October 23rd, 2015, 8:52 pm

I don't like the idea of Luke as a bad guy. He's my hero! I could accept Han Solo as a bad guy, but not Luke.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » October 24th, 2015, 1:43 am

Rookie1 wrote:
ptdebate wrote:

I+think+you+missed+the+joke+_21866cc21cb27dbd8ad1e78e7a98cff6.jpg

I clearly didn't get it. Care to explain?

Return to “Other Media”