Star Wars VII Theory: Luke Skywalker is the villain

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
MoarRipter

Re: Star Wars VII Theory: Luke Skywalker is the villain

Postby MoarRipter » December 19th, 2015, 2:27 am

ptdebate wrote:
Rookie1 wrote:
ptdebate wrote:
If it's in the movies, it's canon! And even though the prequels are mostly unlikable, they are written and directed by Lucas. You can't get more authentic than that.

I+think+you+missed+the+joke+_21866cc21cb27dbd8ad1e78e7a98cff6.jpg

I clearly didn't get it. Care to explain?

Probably something to do with how The Phantom Menace is widely hated by the fanbase (although I liked it), how even the machete order of viewing the films omits it entirely. It is the Star Trek V of the Star Wars films, lots of nerds would just as soon say it's not canon.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » December 19th, 2015, 9:24 pm

MoarRipter wrote:
ptdebate wrote:
Rookie1 wrote:
I+think+you+missed+the+joke+_21866cc21cb27dbd8ad1e78e7a98cff6.jpg

I clearly didn't get it. Care to explain?

Probably something to do with how The Phantom Menace is widely hated by the fanbase (although I liked it), how even the machete order of viewing the films omits it entirely. It is the Star Trek V of the Star Wars films, lots of nerds would just as soon say it's not canon.

If George Lucas made it, I have to consider it canon. That doesn't mean that Episode 7 isn't canon because George didn't make it, but I'd hardly presume that I somehow have more authority to declare something canonical or non-canonical than the guy who dreamed this all up to begin with. Prequels are canon. That's never going to change.

scotland

Postby scotland » December 30th, 2015, 11:06 pm

ptdebate wrote: If George Lucas made it, I have to consider it canon...Prequels are canon. That's never going to change.

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away....Star Wars begins by saying basically Once apon A time. A nice part of Star Wars is the recognition that the story is basically Mythology in Space. There is no real canon here, but a tale of adventure, like Aladdin or Hercules. Those tales grew and changed over time, maybe even who did what.

What is canon is a fun discussion, but it gets crazy when official sources or authors themselves change stuff. Did Gweedo or Han shoot first? Who are the founders of the Justice League? Can JK Rowling just say stuff online or in an interview and its canon? Is the original version of the Hobbit or the revised one, both by Tolkien, true? Are the modern Conan, Middle Earth, or Dune books by family or official torch beareres canon? Is the long running original Star Trek universe canon after the Abrams reboot? Authors and torchbearers change past works, officially, all the time.

In comics it gets so crazy there are personal canons, its true for me like Gwen Stacy never slept with Norman Osborn,, and meta canon, where every version of Batman is true even if its contradictory. Then there are official canons, like Hawkman, that are so corrupted that whatever you make up yourself must be better.

For Star Wars its nice in that they are like Princess Bride or The Hobbit or Conan (know ye oh prince...), where the main story is a story in a story, except we never get to see the narrator in Star Wars, just the opening crawl. Thats something to consider.

Return to “Other Media”