Your Desert Island Albums?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Retrology

Your Desert Island Albums?

Postby Retrology » March 10th, 2016, 6:12 pm

This thread is simple: If you were stranded on a deserted island, what albums would you listen to? (NO LIMITS AS TO HOW MANY YOU WOULD TAKE EITHER)

In no particular order

Deftones-Koi No Yokan
Depeche Mode-Violator
Massive Attack: Mezzanine
Tool-Lateralus
System of a Down-Toxicity
Jeff Buckley: Grace
Radiohead: Bends/OK Computer/Kid A/In Rainbows
Vampire Weekend-Any of the 3 albums
Sublime-40 Oz to Freedom
Faith No More-Angel Dust
LCD Soundsystem-Sound of Silver
Wild Nothing-Nocturne
Daft Punk-Discovery/Random Access Memories
Arcade Fire-Suburbs
Kanye West-808s & Heartbreak
Outkast-ATLiens/Aquemini
Soundgarden-Superunknown
Alice in Chains-Jar of Flies
Incubus-Make Yourself
Kendrick Lamar: GKMC

How's that for random?

Your thoughts?

Voor

Re: Your Desert Island Albums?

Postby Voor » March 11th, 2016, 1:46 pm

Hummmm....seems like we need some limits. Either way:

Incubus, morning view
Arctic Monkeys, first album
Hendrix, band of gypsys
Crowder, a collision and remedy
Dave Matthews, crash and crowded streets

That's probably it.

David

Postby David » March 11th, 2016, 2:25 pm

I'm gonna set parameters for myself and only pick five, otherwise I would just take everything in my library. I'll also not choose greatest hits albums.

1. Paul Simon: Graceland - I'm not a huge fan of Paul Simon's solo career, much preferring his work with Garfunkel, but this album is perfect. Love the hints of African music - it gives the album a worldly flavor.

2. The Smiths: Louder Than Bombs - A compilation album, though not a greatest hits one, of album tracks and A/B sides that never appeared on any studio album. My favorite band, and favorite album of theirs. If limited to studio albums, I'd go with The Queen is Dead.

3. Joni Mitchell: Blue - Her best album, it's the last of her folk albums before she got a little too jazzy for my tastes. If I was feeling depressed about living on a desert island I'd probably listen to this one.

4. Suede: Dog Man Star - Half glam metal and half The Smiths, I think they were the best of the Britpop era. A difficult choice between this and their self-titled album, but this one is darker and has higher highs. If I could take disc one only of Sci-Fi Lullabies I would probably choose that instead.

5. Chvrches: Bones of What You Believe - I wanted something modern, and unlike anything else on the list. Electronic music is definitely different, and love their particular brand of it.

Not necessarily my five favorite bands, but diverse enough that I wouldn't get sick of any type of music I think. it was a little painful leaving The Beatles off, but if I was gonna choose one of theirs it would've been the White Album and I didn't want to use two slots for that. I could probably remove Graceland and put Weezer's Pinkerton on there, losing some folksie pop and adding some pop/rock on there, but that would be my only concession. I also thought about putting Taylor Swift's 1989 or Sia's 1000 Forms of Fear as the last one, but I think Chvrches has the pop element covered as well a stronger overall set of songs.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » April 11th, 2016, 1:27 pm

The Blue Album by Weezer is a must. I can listen to that over and over again without getting tired of it.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » April 15th, 2016, 1:28 pm

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue - Pure classic. I don't think I could get tired of listening to it, ever.

Led Zeppelin - 3 - I needed to pick one Led album. Really, I'd be happy with 1, 2, 3, or 4. No remorse on any of them.

Collective Soul - Collective Soul, their Sophomore album was really their first full fledged, real album. Their first album had Shine on it, but it was more of a demo tape that turned huge than anything else.

Dave Matthews - Listener Supported - Flippin' amazing live album.

Garth Brooks: Blame It All On My Roots - I'm probably cheating as it's a boxed set.

So, that's what I listen to...kind of a goofy sort of music taste, but I'm happy with hit. :)

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » April 15th, 2016, 1:49 pm

Voor wrote:Hummmm....seems like we need some limits. Either way:
Dave Matthews, crash and crowded streets

That's probably it.

You, Sir, have great taste in music.

I kind of bent the rules and selected Listener Supported to get all of my favorite DMB songs. :D

ESauce

Postby ESauce » April 18th, 2016, 8:35 am

I'm going to limit myself to 5, which is insanely hard but otherwise I'd also take everything in my collection:

Beatles - White Album - The Beatles best album plus it's a double.
Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street - I started out wanting to take 5 different albums from different eras or very different styles, but I couldn't resist taking Exile on Main Street as well. It's Rolling Stone's best album and it's another double.
Oingo Boingo - Boingo Alive - I"m cheating by taking a live album, but without bending the rules I'll take Dead Man's Party. Most of you probably only know Oingo Boingo for the songs Dead Mans Party and Weird Science (if you know them at all) but they've got many great albums with a lot of variety.
Arcade Fire - Funeral - Really I couldn't go wrong with any of their albums but this is their first and so it's the one I've listened to the most. I found out about them from this music video sampler that had Laika in it and I've been hooked ever since.
Radiohead -The Bends - I'm torn between this and Outkast Aquemini. I'd like to take Outkast for the variety but the Bends is a stronger album and I think I'd miss it more.

Of course, ask me tomorrow and I'll probably give you a different list.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » May 10th, 2016, 8:57 am

I'll be the last to admit I had too many "desert island" albums when I first posted this.

But I'm not going to limit it to 5 (that's too tough). Instead, I'm going to limit it to 10. In no order

Depeche Mode-Violator
Faith No More-Angel Dust
Massive Attack-Mezzanine
Deftones-Koi No Yokan
Wild Nothing-Nocturne
Radiohead-OK Computer
Outkast-Aquemini
Sublime-40 Oz. to Freedom
Fleet Foxes-Fleet Foxes
My Bloody Valentine-Loveless

Return to “Other Media”