RIP Phife Dawg

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Retrology

RIP Phife Dawg

Postby Retrology » March 23rd, 2016, 3:07 am

Legendary rapper from A Tribe Called Quest, one of my favorite hip hop groups. Do me a favor and listen to his verse on "Award Tour."

So sad to hear about his passing. ATCQ affected me as much as 2Pac, Outkast, and Eminem did as far as hip hop music goes. :(

velcrozombie

Re: RIP Phife Dawg

Postby velcrozombie » March 23rd, 2016, 5:41 pm

Sorry to hear this, although I've been out of the loop with these guys for awhile. I'm pretty sure that Midnight Marauders was the first rap/hip-hop album I ever bought, and I got it based on the strength of "Award Tour". I later picked up The Low-End Theory but I haven't listened to either of them in a while and never listened to anything else the group did, although I remember Q-Tip doing some guest spots over the years. Definitely going to go back and listen again in the wake of this.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » March 23rd, 2016, 5:58 pm

velcrozombie wrote:Sorry to hear this, although I've been out of the loop with these guys for awhile. I'm pretty sure that Midnight Marauders was the first rap/hip-hop album I ever bought, and I got it based on the strength of "Award Tour". I later picked up The Low-End Theory but I haven't listened to either of them in a while and never listened to anything else the group did, although I remember Q-Tip doing some guest spots over the years. Definitely going to go back and listen again in the wake of this.

Beats Rhymes and Life might be my favorite. It's been criticized, but I enjoy its darker production and lyrics (the ending to Crew is pretty disturbing though), and Word Play is one of my favorite Tribe songs. The addition of Consequence (Q-Tip's cousin) is strange, but he's not as bad here as others suggest. Just my two cents.

LET and MM have aged very well, even though I'd have to give LET the nod.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 23rd, 2016, 7:11 pm

I always liked Low End Theory. That song Scenario was a big hit with me and my friends back in the 90's. Hard to believe we're talking about 20+ years ago.

Return to “Other Media”