First Pinball Machine. What would you get?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Retro STrife

First Pinball Machine. What would you get?

Postby Retro STrife » March 27th, 2016, 10:21 am

Like Dave, I think about 3 machines or so is perfect for a house. Until recently, I hadn't bought any, but the three that I've always wanted are: (1) a classic arcade game (currently I'm leaning toward Pac Man since it is my girlfriend's preference and one I'd enjoy too, and one that nongamers could recognize and enjoy at my house); (2) a big red Neo Geo MVS cabinet; and (3) an X-Files pinball machine.

This weekend I've finally picked up the X-Files pinball machine. I've wanted that for about 10 years now. My reasons are, first, I feel like a pinball machine is a good addition to a gameroom because unlike arcade games it is not possible to truly replicate pinball on game consoles, and, second, I'm a big X-Files fan so that was the theme I preferred for the machine. The machine was made in 1997 by Sega. For X-Files fans, it's a great machine, with tons of in-joke and references to specific episodes. It has several mini-games based on specific episodes that you can trigger during gameplay too. The X-Files theme song plays during the game, too, and it's even got voice from some of the characters with quotes from the show. As far as gameplay, it is known as more of an average machine (maybe a B- or C grade, if we were giving objective grades), but the atmosphere and theme is what sold it for me.

Anyone have any machines for their house? Or what pinball or arcade machines have you always wanted?
Attachments
IMG_2705-2.jpg
IMG_2705-2.jpg (47.63 KiB) Viewed 3203 times
IMG_2711-2.png
IMG_2711-2.png (233.83 KiB) Viewed 3203 times

scotland

Re: First Pinball Machine. What would you get?

Postby scotland » March 27th, 2016, 11:58 am

Congratulations on the fine pinball machine. I am envious.

I agree that pinball is an experience a video game cannot do full justice too. Many arcade games, with their specialized controls or cockpits are the same, as are many other forms of electromechanical games, such as shooting galleries. Pinball is also distilled cool, with its banned history, often sexy backglass, association with youth culture, and aggressive style of play.

How much maintenance are you expecting? Unlike video games, pinball machines seem to require TLC. Are you doing that yourself?

As for an arcade machine, have you consider one of those multi game machines? They often come prepackaged with licensed Atari, Namco, Taito, Exidy, Golden Tee and other games, with a trakball and buttons. Some swap out boards, some are using emulation and ROMs, so there is variety in how the games work. I think prices are in the $3000 neighborhood.

SigSauerLover

Postby SigSauerLover » March 27th, 2016, 12:35 pm

A TAD off topic, but it is about my first Pinball machine. You see, back in the late 50's, my dad would play a Pinball game called Ace High at a diner he went to. He had actually gotten so good he's sell credits that he earned back to the vendors (as he would max them out easily). Eventually, the diner sold the machine to him. I inherited the machine after he died in 2013. It was the first table I'd owned. It's a great machine! Simple, yet fun. The next Pinball game I purchased was called The Party Zone. GREAT Pinball game, probably my favorite of all time. I'm currently after a Stern Stars from 1978, but I don't think I'm going to be able to score one of those soon.

Tron

Postby Tron » March 29th, 2016, 5:23 pm

I don't own a pin, but do love them. Here's the ones I'd want:

1. funhouse -
2. Medival madness
3. Lord of the rings
4. Theater of Magic

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 30th, 2016, 2:56 pm

A good story SigSauer, and not off topic at all. Even if the gameplay and replayability is lacking by modern standards, those really old pinball machines are definitely very cool to have around. I'd love to have one someday. Ace High looks like a good one too.

Scotland-- yes, I am definitely worried about maintenance over the long haul. Fortunately, the one I got seems to be in really good shape.. but I know that can only last so long. Considering that it's a 1990s machine, you know it's got tons of moving parts and the electronics inside look daunting. Even basic maintenance, like replacing bulbs, seems like it can be a hassle. Many parts and small lights are not easily accessible. Considering that there can be dozens upon dozens of little lights involved on the machine, you can imagine how often the issue of burnt out lamps comes up over the years. I'd like to do as much maintenance as I can on my own, but, fortunately, as a last resort there is a place in my town that does house calls to service pinball and arcade machines (I haven't asked yet, but I'm sure that aint cheap).

As for the multicade machines, like the 60-in-1 arcade games, I'm not a fan of them. I've seen some go for like $1500, and maybe some day in the distant future I would consider that just for convenience sake. But to me, it's like playing video games on an emulator--it's just not the same as being on the original machine. Worse yet, they often gut a great arcade game (like Pac-man or Ms Pac-man) and use the cabinet to make the multicade. Why? Because the multicade can sell for a higher price than the Pac-man machine. It's blasphemy if you ask me, and I can't imagine how many great machines have been destroyed due to this practice.

scotland

Postby scotland » March 31st, 2016, 9:46 am

PSX in 2014 wrote:Between home consoles, portables, and a few retro computers, I have about 45-50 unique systems. I have no idea how many games, I've never tried counting. One day I'd like to have a house with a "game room" and everything all set up.. but for now I live in an apartment, and I have no interest in putting the time and effort into such a setup when I will eventually have to move it all. So, most of it stays in a storage unit, and I just pull stuff out as needed.

Congrats again to Retro Strife, formerlly PSX, on his pinball machine in his gameroom. I found this comment he wrote about 2 years ago.

Who said dreams don't come true.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 1st, 2016, 1:51 am

scotland wrote:Congrats again to Retro Strife, formerlly PSX, on his pinball machine in his gameroom. I found this comment he wrote about 2 years ago.

Who said dreams don't come true.

Haha. Not to kill the celebration, but there's actually no gameroom yet. In a few months, I'm moving into a house that I'm in the process of buying, and I plan to put a gameroom in there and finally set up all my junk. But an X-Files machine (or any specific arcade machine) is very tough to find for local pickup, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity when I saw this one for a fair price, in very good condition, and only 30 minutes from my house. I knew I might not get another chance like that. So for now, it's sitting in the living room of my one bedroom apartment. Needless to say, my girlfriend is a keeper for putting up with me...

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 1st, 2016, 1:59 am

Even more impressive is that you somehow just remembered or stumbled across that old post.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » September 5th, 2021, 6:02 am

Retro STrife wrote:As for the multicade machines, like the 60-in-1 arcade games, I'm not a fan of them. I've seen some go for like $1500, and maybe some day in the distant future I would consider that just for convenience sake. But to me, it's like playing video games on an emulator--it's just not the same as being on the original machine. Worse yet, they often gut a great arcade game (like Pac-man or Ms Pac-man) and use the cabinet to make the multicade. Why? Because the multicade can sell for a higher price than the Pac-man machine. It's blasphemy if you ask me, and I can't imagine how many great machines have been destroyed due to this practice.

Those 60 in one boards are relatively cheap, and so are the components to finish the thing yourself. I ended up building a cabinet myself with one of those. It's the better option. If you're thrifty you can put one together for under 600.

noah98

Postby noah98 » September 5th, 2021, 7:12 am

I'm looking for my first pinball machine too. Unfortunately, the used market has exploded and machines are crazy expensive now. I almost bought a Robocop that's been fully restored, but the owner cautioned me not to spend too much on a machine that will require maintenance over time and where the parts may be hard to find. He suggested an older Williams. I'm still looking for an affordable one!

My dream machine would probably be Stern's Deadpool. I just can't justify the high price tag now! I was having fun playing a lot of the new pins on location, but the COVID surge here in Florida makes it unsafe to be in a public environment jammed with people who are shoulder to shoulder playing pinball.

Return to “Other Media”