Any Depeche Mode fans?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Retrology

Any Depeche Mode fans?

Postby Retrology » April 3rd, 2016, 1:15 pm

I just can't get enough (sorry) of them, I'm a huge fan, and have 4 of their albums (BC, MFTM, Violator, SOFAD). My 2nd favorite band behind Radiohead.

They're rare in that they write catchy songs with dark/bleak topics. I never really categorized them as straight out synth pop, more Electronic/techno/avant garde. Love Gahan's voice (and Gore's whenever he sings), and the lyrics are phenomenal.

Favorite songs: Halo, Behind the wheel, Question of time, Happiest Girl, One Caress, Flies on the Windscreen

Favorite album: Violator

Thoughts?

LuckyMan

Re: Any Depeche Mode fans?

Postby LuckyMan » April 4th, 2016, 6:00 pm

Yes, I'm a big Depeche Mode fan as well. I also have four of their albums: MFTM, Violator, SOFAD... and Ultra, which I think you should give a listen to. Of course, they lost Alan Wilder on that album so it has a slightly different sound, but there are many great tunes. Actually, I'm glad you brought them up because I've been meaning to check out some of their earlier albums. Thanks!

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » April 4th, 2016, 10:45 pm

I think Violator is an excellent album (they just played "Policy of Truth" at work the other day and I later went home and learned it on guitar) but I'm not that familiar with the rest of their work; I think the only other studio albums I've heard are Some Great Reward (from which I really only remember "Blasphemous Rumours") and Ultra (from which I only remember "Barrel of a Gun" and "It's No Good"). I do have a greatest-hits CD representing the early part of their career and I was surprised by how upbeat that material sounded in comparison to the songs I've otherwise heard from them. Definitely a band I'd like to go back to.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » September 6th, 2016, 2:37 am

Been discovering more of Depeche Mode's catalog, and I'm more into them than I already was (which was significant). That run from Some Great Reward to Songs of Faith and Devotion has to be one of the greatest runs in mainstream music history.

Anyway, here's my rankings of the albums I've heard from best to worst

Violator
Black Celebration
Songs of Faith and Devotion
Music for the Masses
Some Great Reward
Construction Time Again
A Broken Frame

Violator is an absolute masterpiece in every respect. Every song is perfect and never gets old, and the bonus tracks are just as good. Black Celebration is easily the most relatable album, so it comes in a close second.

Return to “Other Media”