Top 5 Favorite Movies

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Gleebergloben123

Re: Top 5 Favorite Movies

Postby Gleebergloben123 » April 23rd, 2016, 11:58 am

Bridge on the River Qwai, what a great film. My above movies were my 'fun' favorite. Others that I've really enjoyed:

The Seven Samarai
Miller's Crossing
Raising Arizona
Aguirre: The Wrath of God
Donkey Kong: a Fistful of Quarters
War Games
Citizen Kane

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » April 23rd, 2016, 12:05 pm

A lot of good and interesting choices. Hunt for Red October is a movie I never hear about anymore, especially in comparison to the two movies John McTiernan directed right before it (Predator and Die Hard). I only watched it once when I was about 8 and at the time I had no understanding of what I was watching, so it's definitely one I'd like to return to.

I am a little surprised to see the The Matrix multiple times. A movie that seemed almost revolutionary at the time, but it's hard for me not to see it now as just a fun but flawed sci-fi romp that was damaged by a couple of inferior sequels. Would anyone want to talk a little bit more about it?

scotland wrote:Westerns have long since gone out of fashion with deconstructions (and comic books movies seem to be in danger of that). However, for favorite Western I am going with The Magnificent Seven, with Steve McQueen and Yul Brynner, and several other charismatic actors. For most rewatchable western, I will go with El Dorado, with John Wayne, James Caan, Robert Mitchum and more.

Along with the ones you've already mentioned, I'm a big fan of Red River, The Wild Bunch, Unforgiven and (for insanity's sake) El Topo. There are a bunch of classics that I still have to see, though. Did you see the The Revenant? A beautiful movie with many thrilling sequences and good performances (most of all Tom Hardy) that doesn't feel like it adds up to a coherent message at the end.

scotland

Postby scotland » April 23rd, 2016, 1:52 pm

Some of the shine is off the Matrix for me as it seems to be an uncredited loose adaptation of Grant Morrison's comic series, The Invisibles, in the mid 1990s. That's not right. Even if the movie changes a lot of the source material, the book's author should be paid and credited, and Morrison certainly was not. Of course, he never sued, so maybe there is more to the story than I know.

The Matrix sequels are so bad it does tarnish the original (I'm thankful that for the Highlander, there was only one movie). Matrix did spark a lot of fun conversations though.

I saw the Revenant as a date movie. Sigh. Not a fan. Its like an 1980s Charles Bronson revenge movie with really fantastic scenery and a bear attack. I think a lot of people wanted Leo to win an Oscar, but as time is passing, I'm hearing more and more less than positive comments on the movie now. One person on television called it a zombie movie. It could have been a great Highlander movie though.

WarGames is dated, but in a good way - like a time capsule. Hunt for Red October may not speak to Millenials as much, and its got plot holes large enough to drive a submarine through, but its still a whole lot of fun.

Dune is an odd one for me. When it first came out, I left the theater annoyed at the strong deviations from the source material. As the years have passed by, and I've attuned myself to those differences, I really like the movie now. Its also very quotable.

Of course, if rewatchable is the criteria, then movies like Young Frankenstein, Star Wars, Casablanca, or even The Wizard of Oz rise as very quotable. Better go before someone drops a house on me.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » April 23rd, 2016, 11:23 pm

This is tough for me to narrow down to 5, but I'll do my best. It's easier to rank a top 3 or top 5 by category! These are the movies I find myself watching again and again, and quoting incessantly:

5. Apollo 13
4. Caddyshack
3. Hunt for Red October
2. Groundhog Day
1. Clue

Sut

Postby Sut » April 24th, 2016, 3:12 am

velcrozombie wrote:I am a little surprised to see the The Matrix multiple times. A movie that seemed almost revolutionary at the time, but it's hard for me not to see it now as just a fun but flawed sci-fi romp that was damaged by a couple of inferior sequels. Would anyone want to talk a little bit more about it?

I think the premise was just 'out there'. I can remember me and my then housemate watching it time and again and taking different meanings from it. The fact it was 'cool', had a great stylised look and fun action sequences also helped. Agreed with the sequels they added nothing but confusion to the originals mythos.

Breaker wrote:5. Apollo 13
4. Caddy-shack
3. Hunt for Red October
2. Groundhog Day
1. Clue

Yes! Apollo 13 is a great movie. Also love Groundhog Day one of Bill Murray's best performances.

To be honest I've never found Caddyshack or films of a similar humour to be funny, but I know comedy can be very subjective and being British I might just not 'get it'.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » April 24th, 2016, 5:59 pm

scotland wrote: War movies is another genre that had its golden age long ago.

I disagree. My favorite war movie is "Downfall", which came out in 2004. You've all seen the clips on Youtube. I've also seen "Stalingrad" (1993), and I want to get around to watching "Cross of Iron" (1977). I've also heard that Full Metal Jacket (1987) is dead-on with how boot camp really is, and with that, I also love Platoon (1986).

Gleebergloben123 wrote:War Games

Great movie. The only way to win is not to play. I love nuclear war movies like The Day After (1983), Threads (1984), and When the Wind Blows (1986). I remember when I was finished with The Day After, I was browsing the channels trying to find something to cheer me up. Well I nearly jumped out of my skin when they did an Emergency Alert test. These movies scare me more than horror films like Chucky or Friday the 13th because nuclear war could actually happen. If you really want a scary one, look up Barefoot Gen on Youtube. It's a very graphic anime about Hiroshima.

So mine would be:

1) Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
2) A League of their Own (1992)
3) Rocky (1976)
4) Downfall (224)
5) Home Alone (1990). Every single line in this movie is a joke. I realized that some 20 years later.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » April 24th, 2016, 9:52 pm

Herschie wrote:5) Home Alone (1990). Every single line in this movie is a joke. I realized that some 20 years later.

I love this. I could have easily put Home Alone or Christmas Vacation in my top 5, but I *usually* only watch them between October & December. This goes back to my statement that it would be easier to make a top list by category!

Retrology

Postby Retrology » April 24th, 2016, 10:12 pm

Herschie wrote:
If you really want a scary one, look up Barefoot Gen on Youtube. It's a very graphic anime about Hiroshima.

Not even kidding, a classmate of mine in my social studies class in high school showed our class the bombing scene from this movie, and I was scarred for a couple of days.

JudyMcCoy

Postby JudyMcCoy » May 4th, 2016, 5:00 am

Titanic
Pirates of Caribbean
Liar, Liar
Jerry Maguire
Shawshank Redemption

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 4th, 2016, 10:29 pm