Favorite Hip Hop Artists?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Retrology

Favorite Hip Hop Artists?

Postby Retrology » April 25th, 2016, 8:51 pm

I listen to a good variety of music, among them, hip hop. I enjoy the genre immensely (the stuff that isn't "trash", that is).

So, VGC forum, which hip hop artists are your favorites to listen to?

OutKast: First 4 albums are amazing, lyrically and musically.

Tribe Called Quest: First 4 albums also amazing. RIP Phife Dawg.

Kanye West: Before Yeezy, anyway. 808s and Heartbreak is my personal favorite.

Kendrick Lamar: The only significantly mainstream rapper even trying anymore (Haven't heard much of J Cole).

Death Grips: If you're into the underground scene, you've heard about this group, and for good reason: They're unlike anything I've heard before, in any genre.

2Pac: Duh.

Eminem: Slim Shady LP to Eminem Show.

Biggie Smalls: Also duh.

Rage Against The Machine: Screw it, they rap, they count.

Thoughts?

velcrozombie

Re: Favorite Hip Hop Artists?

Postby velcrozombie » April 28th, 2016, 12:04 pm

I won't act like I know that much about hip-hop; I do want to learn more and listen to more, though;

I like most of what you mentioned; I was pleasantly surprised by the inclusion of the Death Grips (everyone go here: http://thirdworlds.net/index.php and download Ex Military for free), but I admit that I don't know 2Pac and Biggie that well beyond the singles. I've never been knocked out by Biggie, but I've heard that Puff Daddy basically made him put out "commercial" singles and that the albums are a lot more interesting.

Other stuff I like beyond what you've mentioned:
- Aesop Rock (probably my favorite lyricist, with the possible exception of Tom Waits)
- Cannibal Ox
- Kool Keith/Dr. Octagon
- Madvillainy
- Earl Sweatshirt
- Tyler the Creator
- The Roots
- Blackalicious
- The Streets
- Scarface
- Jurassic 5
- Six Feet Deep by Gravediggaz
- Dizzee Rascal
- The Beastie Boys (who doesn't like these guys?)
- Jedi Mind Tricks
- Public Enemy (duh)
- Run DMC (also duh)
- Busta Rhymes (just the first few records)
- Wu-Tang Clan (ditto, although a lot of the earlier solo stuff is good too)
- Fugees (and the first Lauryn Hill record)

Retrology

Postby Retrology » April 28th, 2016, 5:47 pm

velcrozombie wrote:I won't act like I know that much about hip-hop; I do want to learn more and listen to more, though;

I like most of what you mentioned; I was pleasantly surprised by the inclusion of the Death Grips (everyone go here: http://thirdworlds.net/index.php and download Ex Military for free), but I admit that I don't know 2Pac and Biggie that well beyond the singles. I've never been knocked out by Biggie, but I've heard that Puff Daddy basically made him put out "commercial" singles and that the albums are a lot more interesting.

Other stuff I like beyond what you've mentioned:
- Aesop Rock (probably my favorite lyricist, with the possible exception of Tom Waits)
- Cannibal Ox
- Kool Keith/Dr. Octagon
- Madvillainy
- Earl Sweatshirt
- Tyler the Creator
- The Roots
- Blackalicious
- The Streets
- Scarface
- Jurassic 5
- Six Feet Deep by Gravediggaz
- Dizzee Rascal
- The Beastie Boys (who doesn't like these guys?)
- Jedi Mind Tricks
- Public Enemy (duh)
- Run DMC (also duh)
- Busta Rhymes (just the first few records)
- Wu-Tang Clan (ditto, although a lot of the earlier solo stuff is good too)
- Fugees (and the first Lauryn Hill record)

Thanks for the link, just downloaded the mixtape (Takyon is one of my favorite Death Grips songs)! Shoutout for The Roots/Tyler/Fugees inclusions.

I've also listened to most of the guys from your list. Might I suggest Immortal Technique? Dance with the Devil is a brutal, but powerful listen.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » April 29th, 2016, 1:41 am

Retrology wrote:Might I suggest Immortal Technique? Dance with the Devil is a brutal, but powerful listen.

I promise I'll check it out and let you know what I think.

Since this is a family-friendly site, I want to warn everyone that the link I posted has some NSFW imagery, including one of the album covers featuring uncensored male genitalia; I apologize for anyone who visited the link prior to this warning, as it was a clear oversight on my part.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » June 13th, 2016, 11:37 am

I completely forgot about this thread for awhile. A couple of weeks ago, Ultimate Guitar (a site for guitar players that I frequent) asked it's members to send suggestions for "Darkest Song of All-Time". They created a top-25 list from the results, and what showed up on the list (despite the site being very rock- and metal-oriented) but Immortal Technique's "Dance with the Devil". Chilling song - I ended up downloading the album on my phone, although it hasn't come up in shuffle yet.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » June 14th, 2016, 12:45 am

Eazy E was the best.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 15th, 2016, 10:41 pm

Back in the day I saw a lot of rap artists in concert including Public Enemy (4 times), Run DMC, Beastie Boys, EPMD, Doug E Fresh, Stetsasonic, LL Cool J, and Kool Moe Dee. Ice Cube is probably my all-time favorite.

Voor

Postby Voor » July 11th, 2016, 12:49 am

velcrozombie wrote:I completely forgot about this thread for awhile. A couple of weeks ago, Ultimate Guitar (a site for guitar players that I frequent) asked it's members to send suggestions for "Darkest Song of All-Time". They created a top-25 list from the results, and what showed up on the list (despite the site being very rock- and metal-oriented) but Immortal Technique's "Dance with the Devil". Chilling song - I ended up downloading the album on my phone, although it hasn't come up in shuffle yet.

Cool. I tend to hang out on The Gear Page quite a bit.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » July 12th, 2016, 11:27 am

Voor wrote:
Cool. I tend to hang out on The Gear Page quite a bit.

That's cool. I should check out the forums more. Besides the transcriptions I check the news and look at gear and music reviews (more for the comments, since a lot of reviews themselves are of questionable quality). I've submitted a handful of transcriptions and have probably a half-dozen that I need to finish, although I haven't looked at them in a few months.

Return to “Other Media”