Favorite NFL Quarterbacks

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Retrology

Favorite NFL Quarterbacks

Postby Retrology » May 12th, 2016, 3:12 pm

Straightforward, can be active or retired.

In no order

Peyton Manning: Probably the smartest QB to ever play the game. His Broncos era is extremely impressive because he was able to get by with accuracy despite a declining skill set. He wasn't flashy by any means, but in his prime he was a QB you'd never get tired of watching.

Aaron Rodgers: Duh. This guy might have the greatest set of skills since Liam Neeson. His mobility/scrambling, in addition to possibly the best deep ball in the game, make for perhaps my favorite QB.

Russell Wilson: Like Rodgers, except 2x the scrambler. Always a joy to see him escape in the pocket and sling downfield.

Tony Romo: Long one of the most underrated QBs in the league, Romo's pocket patience, passing, and ability to buy time won me over for the longest time. Hoping he can be healthy this year, because the Cowboys sucked without him.

Ben Roethlisberger: As a Browns fan, I'm jealous. Big Ben practically pioneered the mobile QB in the millenial era. Built like a lineman yet mobile as Elway and with a rocket arm.

Philip Rivers: Every completion this guy makes 15+ yards is a gift. His faces too.

matmico399

Re: Favorite NFL Quarterbacks

Postby matmico399 » May 12th, 2016, 4:56 pm

Dan Marino
Matthew Stafford
Phillip Rivers
Joe Namath
Peyton Manning
Russel Wilson
Kurt Warner

...in no particular order.

scotland

Postby scotland » May 12th, 2016, 5:30 pm

Nice topic

Ken "the Snake' Stabler - Like another Alabama alum, "Broadway Joe" Namath, they acted like they were having the time of their lives, both on the field and off the field.

Bob Griese - Part of the Undefeated Dolphins, sometimes called 'The Thinking Man's QB' for calling his own plays throughout his career.

Johnny Unitas - The prototype of the modern QB, but so clean cut they should name a brand of soap after him. Helped bring American Football into prominence in the 1960s winning the nationally televised 1958 NFL championship game that ended in sudden death overtime, called "Greatest Game ever Played".

Joe Montana - Before Montana, the 49ers were perennial losers, but under Montana, they started a dynasty, and he did it wearing a photogenic smile. Plus, Montana has a video game legacy and may have helped Sega really invest in the Genesis as a sports console.

Peyton Manning - For the last few years, has been the most prominent positive face of American Football.

Only Griese played his whole career with one franchise, although Unitas went to the Colts as a young player and then stayed there. The others all went free agent late in their careers, but seldom with the success Manning did.

jon

Postby jon » May 12th, 2016, 10:15 pm

I'll go with Dan Marino and Joe Namath.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » May 14th, 2016, 7:14 am

Elway. Nothing more needs to be said.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » May 15th, 2016, 4:02 pm

Since the topic is favorite qb and not best quarterback I'm going to go with childhood nostalgia and pick Bernie Kosar. He wasn't the best by any means, but he had some pretty good skills ( except for his side arm style of throw which negated his 6'+ height). You had to feel for a guy who couldn't catch a break dating back to his college days when he was on the wrong end of the "Hail Mary" via Doug Flutie and then his two most infamous losses "the drive" and "the fumble" are still shown on ESPN Classic to this day. He'll always have a special place in my memory though.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » May 21st, 2016, 11:42 pm

Luigi & Peach wrote: Doug Flutie

I hate Doug Flutie. Had an abysmal performance against the Redskins in 1986:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWyexFeLADA

I notice no Bears are on the list, but when your best quarterback is Cutler, that makes a lot of sense. My typical Sunday during football season usually consists of getting up at noon, watching whoever is playing QB for Chicago bungle through the game, then watching the games at 3 and 7, usually consisting of real quarterbacks such as Brady, Rodgers, Peyton, or Roethlisberger. Sucks that Peyton retired.

My favorite quarterbacks?

5) Dan Marino
4) Drew Bledsoe
3) Peyton Manning
2) Steve Grogan
1) Tom Brady

I can't stand Jay Cutler. Every year it's some excuse for him. Oh, he didn't have the receivers. Well, his coaches sucked (I bought that when Trestman was calling the shots). He doesn't have a line. You know what? How come I never hear excuses from Brady, Peyton, or Rodgers? Just Cutler. Maybe this'll be the year. Maybe he'll blossom at 33.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » May 22nd, 2016, 4:35 pm

Cutler isn't bad, but he's undoubtly inconsistent. I watch a lot of NFL film in my spare time (NFL Gamepass), and the All 22 angle (coach's film) really makes a big difference in analyzing QBs/other players.

Anyways, Cutler was fine imo last year, but his decision making is somewhat flawed as a whole. Sometimes tries to use his arm instead of his brain too much.

Now if we want to talk QBs I can't stand, Alex Smith is it. The only reason he made it in NFL Network's Top 100 players is because of "QB WINZ" (quarterback wins, for newcomers). He's the pinnacle definition of a game manager, and his biggest advantage (not making mistakes) is his fatal flaw, as he plays it safe. I just don't get people's approval of him.

So much football.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » May 22nd, 2016, 7:01 pm

Ah football! Yes there is too much of a good thing, but rarely when it comes to football. Such a great game! And in Atlanta and the rest of the south we enjoy college if not more than the pros.....

jon

Postby jon » May 23rd, 2016, 3:40 pm

I've always been a sucker for quarterbacks with strong arms. I really liked Jeff George and felt he had a lot of potential. He was always on bad teams but he had a canon. Jay Cutler has a big arm but I don't think he's as smart as the greatest ones are. Having said that, I absolutely believe he's been dysfunctional teams his whole career.

Return to “Other Media”