Free domain movies

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Tron

Free domain movies

Postby Tron » October 4th, 2016, 12:07 am

I love free domain movies. I buy dvd collections. I tend to like the 70s and 80s ones the best. The 50s and 60s can be great too, but some of them the video quality is so poor I don't even bother. I don't like the foreign films though. Having voices dubbed over just seems stupid. I like the drive-in a sexploitation flicks and the sci-fi best. War movies and westerns tend to bore me unless they're Clint Eastwood, which aren't free domain anyways.

Sometimes some 30s and 40s films make it into the collection. When the video is good it's interesting reading about when and how the actors died. It's facinating to read about an actor dying shortly after or even during the films making.

Anyone heard of:

Teenagers from Outer Space 1959

Super stupid title and even worse is that there isn't a single teenager in the film. Once you get past those issues the film is pretty awesome. The back story on the director, who plays the part of the journalist is amazing. The guy moved to Hollywood with no connections and little funds. He managed to get some people to fund the film, one of which starred as the villain. Later on the villain sued the director for his investment back. You can tell the director actually had some talent for filmmaking. Unfortunately this was his only film. The movie bombed and he went off the deep end and wound up in an insane asylum thinking he was Jesus Christ. Seriously Google it and you'll see I'm not making this up. It seems like the guy put his heart and soul in this movie and when it busted so did he. He eventually killed himself at a pretty young age.

Anyone else find this fascinating or would you all rather just watch the next cgi super hero film or Morgan Freeman big budget spectacle? Jonny depo in yet another zany role anyone?

twilighthotel

Re: Free domain movies

Postby twilighthotel » October 29th, 2016, 10:45 am

Love those big box collections of public domain movies. Funny how Night of the Living Dead (original) and Jack Nicholson's version of Little Shop of Horrors are public domain and can be released by anyone without a license.

Tron

Re: Free domain movies

Postby Tron » October 29th, 2016, 7:53 pm

Someone responded! Thank you thank you. I was afraid this thread would go into the "Unreplied Zone".

Not surprised about Night of the Living Dead being free domain. I've probably got 7 copies of it in various collections. In my freshman English college course we had to write a review/synopsis of a movie. I pick Night of the Living Dead. I was rather proud of that paper.

I just finished a 50 film box set that has Godzilla on the cover. There's I think 3 or 4 japanese Godzilla films on this set and I watched them on fast forward. I'm not a Godzilla fan. I checked 7 movies that I'd like to watch again. That makes 43 that aren't worthy a second view.

Another good one was The Wasp Woman. The film itself was decent, but a bit hokey. The best part is the backstory again. I won't go into details on this one though.

Return to “Other Media”